Page 1 of 1
Something in skinks eye
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:37 pm
by lucasrusinak
Haven't started handling my new skink yet since its been cold so its been hiding and Ive had it for only about a week now. Just took her out and realized theres something in her eye. It just looks like some of the tiny bits of substrate (its coco fiber) anyone know the best way to help her out? should I soak her or anything?
Re: Something in skinks eye
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:09 am
by Scotts1au
I wouldn't worry, just give the skink a wash, splash a bit of water over its face, it should work itself loose.
Re: Something in skinks eye
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:20 am
by Cherbear
My skinks bury themselves in their substrate and frequently come up with pieces on their face and eye. It comes loose pretty quickly and on its own with no problem.
Re: Something in skinks eye
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:01 pm
by lucasrusinak
thanks guys! its pretty much all out, I usually use aspen so its not nearly as fine as this cocofiber is
Re: Something in skinks eye
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:33 pm
by lucasrusinak
So everything I found is out of the eye, however I do notice at time she will blink but not a full blink. It seems as if her third eyelid (not sure if this is even what it is, i know dogs have them but thats what it looked like) is giving her some trouble. almost like she would close the "third eyelid" but not close her regular eyelid. anyone have any idea what could be going on?
Re: Something in skinks eye
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:19 am
by Susann
It's called the nictating membrane and it could just be a case of her still working out the rest of the irritant in the eye, or some residual irritation from it. If you want to make sure it's not something additional going on you can have a vet take a look, but if it were my skink I'd just keep an eye on her, make sure nothing is turning red/inflamed. Let us know how she does.
Re: Something in skinks eye
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:15 am
by lucasrusinak
Susann wrote:It's called the nictating membrane and it could just be a case of her still working out the rest of the irritant in the eye, or some residual irritation from it. If you want to make sure it's not something additional going on you can have a vet take a look, but if it were my skink I'd just keep an eye on her, make sure nothing is turning red/inflamed. Let us know how she does.
okay, just wanted to check here before doing anything. I had a feeling it might just be left over residue shes trying to work out. switched the bedding in her cage yesterday, so she should be good from here on out.