Page 1 of 1
Help Identify- 1st Time Owner/Poster
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:22 pm
by blakebatch
Just got this little guy yesterday. Longtime herp keeper first time BTS owner. It was sold as a northern and I believe that to be true, but I would still like the opinions of the long time keepers. Additionally, I knew that he would be a little huffy at first but without out me even being near his terrarium I can hear him. Is this normal? Thank you in advance for any input.

Re: Help Identify- 1st Time Owner/Poster
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:41 pm
by Scotts1au
Hi there, nice Indonesian bluey, Tlilqua gigas gigas
Welcome.
Re: Help Identify- 1st Time Owner/Poster
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:45 pm
by Dakota
You have what we call a Halmahera - a form of Indonesian (Tiliqua gigas gigas). They are tropical, so I'd err on the side of switching from Aspen to a more humidity-friendly substrate. And Halmaheras are huffy when they are babies, but will sweeten up with age.

Re: Help Identify- 1st Time Owner/Poster
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:22 pm
by blakebatch
OK, thanks. I have a coconut husk brick. This just adds to my questions.
1. What humidity level should I set? Hes currently at 30%.
2. Whats a rough size estimate on halmaheras?
3. Does anyone have any species specific taming tricks? I've already got a cut out of my shirt in his hide and I'm working on hand feeding.
Thanks
Re: Help Identify- 1st Time Owner/Poster
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:44 pm
by Dakota
1. He should be around at least 60% or so. They like it warm and humid.
2. Around 21" give or take a few inches.
3. Well, first, let it settle in the cage for a week or two. Then slowly start holding him. Baby Halmaheras tend to be little spitfires, and I hold mine 5 times a week for about 10 minutes.