Page 1 of 1
Captain Richard "Lizardhands" Edward
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:29 pm
by Edward Lizardhands
My new indo skink from Outback Reptiles. Pretty sure he's farm bred but he hasn't bit me yet. The nice guys on Ball-Pythons.net are helping me fix my husbandry.
He's being housed in a 36in x 18in x 18in, in aspen substrate, with very weak 25 watt bulbs, low humidity, at least I got temps right but they're provided by a UTH. I'm creating a basking spot and a fluorescent bar for that UV, and switching to eco earth. He's very calm when I pick him up, the maximum of holding time being 5 minutes.
Here's photos of him and the terrarium. I was also wondering what locality he is.
Re: Captain Richard "Lizardhands" Edward
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:32 pm
by Edward Lizardhands
I'm also feeding him 85% lean ground turkey with blueberries, mango (he loves little bits of mango) assorted greens, arugula, spinach, green beans, occasionally squash, rare strawberry slice, and the occasional earthworm. (My dad has a composting thingy (earthworm colony I guess.) Oh yeah and I'm 13. Hi.
Re: Captain Richard "Lizardhands" Edward
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:42 pm
by Edward Lizardhands
I'm really freaked out though, I fed him about 3 meals with cat food because we ran out of the turkey, is he ok? Ugh.......i've given him a horrible life so far...
Re: Captain Richard "Lizardhands" Edward
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:15 pm
by JoshChimera
What are the temperatures? Everything else sounds fine.
Re: Captain Richard "Lizardhands" Edward
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:25 am
by Edward Lizardhands
96.6 degrees hot(again, not with a basking spot but with a stinkin UTH) and 71-78 on cold.
Re: Captain Richard "Lizardhands" Edward
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:38 am
by lucasrusinak
cat and dog food is often used so I wouldnt worry. I personally feed my guy dog food for every meal and hes been doing great as are other who use dog food on here.
the basking spot should be about 100 so you arent too far off, and the cool side should be low 70s so youre about good on that too. I do not own an indo of any kind so I wont be a ton of help on how to do it, however I believe you should have a higher humidity for these types of skinks in order for them to shed properly and stay healthy. I think changing the bedding from aspen to something like mulch or something that holds moisture better would help.
Re: Captain Richard "Lizardhands" Edward
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:49 am
by Edward Lizardhands
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Maybe some peat moss and eco earth for sure. Maybe eco earth and packaged dirt?
In the cat food im just worried about Taurine. The mystery ingredient. Instead of the usual canned cat food, I used these rabbit pellets that we feed our cat instead. I checked the ingredients, it's ok as far as chemicals (there aren't any) and has a TINY amount of fruitn already in it to spice it up.
Re: Captain Richard "Lizardhands" Edward
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:09 pm
by lucasrusinak
Edward Lizardhands wrote:Yeah thats what I was thinking. Maybe some peat moss and eco earth for sure. Maybe eco earth and packaged dirt?
In the cat food im just worried about Taurine. The mystery ingredient. Instead of the usual canned cat food, I used these rabbit pellets that we feed our cat instead. I checked the ingredients, it's ok as far as chemicals (there aren't any) and has a TINY amount of fruitn already in it to spice it up.
I would just switch to high quality canned dog food. I use blue buffalo since I only feed one, but thats more expensive than other brands. Many people on this forum have successfully used canned dog food for years.
Re: Captain Richard "Lizardhands" Edward
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:32 am
by Edward Lizardhands
USUALLY I feed him ground turkey. LLLReptile uses it and they've run ok and its cheap blah blah blah. I might try teh dog food.
Re: Captain Richard "Lizardhands" Edward
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:05 am
by lucasrusinak
Edward Lizardhands wrote:USUALLY I feed him ground turkey. LLLReptile uses it and they've run ok and its cheap blah blah blah. I might try teh dog food.
ground turkey is fine, i just find dog food easier because i dont need to prepare it and it already has some good veggies and stuff in it so I dont have to worry about mixing in fresh ones all the time.