Page 1 of 1

How to befriend my skink and other questions

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:08 am
by xmangotart
So I have a few questions, (Sorry if im asking too many!)

1. How do i win the heart of my new skink? Hes very shy and gets very huffy when i try to hold him (although hes calmed down quite a bit since the first time i tried to hold him) Like whenever I feed him I have to leave the room or just be really quiet so he cat come out and eat >_> I do my best to give him treats and try to handle him, anything else I can do?

2. What are some natural substrates I can use? Our country doesnt sell fancy reptile bedding so anything i can buy from the plant shop or something that can be used? Right now he uses shredded newspaper but i can see hes having trouble walking cos of the traction and its kinda hard to clean.

3. Do skinks need UV light everyday? (i also cant find reptile bulbs) If he does I can bring him outside, i just need to know how often and for how long. I heard natural light is better anyways ^_^

Thanks in advance! :D

Re: How to befriend my skink and other questions

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:53 pm
by Noah H.
1. This is a good read on the subject to start out with.

2. A couple of options other than aspen shavings might be coconut fiber or cypress mulch.

3. If I remember correctly, I think 30-60 minutes a few times a week is a good rule of thumb.

Re: How to befriend my skink and other questions

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:29 am
by xmangotart
Noah H. wrote:1. This is a good read on the subject to start out with.

2. A couple of options other than aspen shavings might be coconut fiber or cypress mulch.

3. If I remember correctly, I think 30-60 minutes a few times a week is a good rule of thumb.


Thank you so much!! :D

Re: How to befriend my skink and other questions

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:40 am
by Dakota
I would avoid Aspen for Halmaheras. Your best bet would be to use Cypress mixed with Coconut coir/ Top soil with Sphagnum moss on top. Not a lot of sunlight breaks through the canopy of the rainforests in Indonesia, so it theoretical UV exposure has a pretty low priority in captive care.

Re: How to befriend my skink and other questions

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:30 pm
by Noah H.
Sorry about that, didn't catch you had a Halmahera. Yes, definitely go with something that will lock in some more humidity (not aspen).