Page 1 of 1

Outdoor Enclosure size

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:19 am
by aap1966
Newbie here, so apologies if a repost.

I live in Brisbane, Australia. Typical Day time temperatures are 15 C to 20 C (60 to 70 F) winter, 35 C (95 F) summer. (Lowest it ever gets at night is 6 C --45 F--, and then only for a few weeks per year). I have a heavily planted outdoor enclosure, mouse proof, substrate is leaf litter about 1 or 2 inches thick, and 3 hollow logs. It's heavily planted, but the under story is fairly open. Well drained. It is half roofed, and sheltered from wind, with a few separated "sunning" spots. Area is 8 square metres (~72 square foot).

My question: Assuming a male / female pair of approximately equal size, what are my chances of successfully keeping two animals together, from 0 to 10. 0 being inevitable fatality within a week, 10 being "no worries"? (I have a separate 4 sq m (36 sq foot) enclosure I can use for any off-spring, but I realise that's getting ahead of myself).

Thanks guys (& gals)....appreciate feedback from those with the high time.

Re: Outdoor Enclosure size

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:50 am
by Richard.C
chances are great they would do fine,what species were you considering,im guessing easterns being they live locally in that area

i have a group of 8 easterns together in a cage with floor space of roughly ten foot by 5 foot ,outdoors i melbourne,they should thrive outdoors in your neck of the woods,my group consists of 3 adult males and 5 adult females which used to reside in a bigger outdoor enclosure with a heap of blotchies of 4 metres by 3 meters

Re: Outdoor Enclosure size

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:49 am
by aap1966
Thanks Richard for your input.
Yeah, I was thinking local type. I thought I'd probably get away with a pair. There are plenty of "hiding" spots in the enclosure, so the skinks could get away from each other if they wanted too. Anyway, thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'll post some pictures if I go ahead with getting a pair.

Cheers, Andrew