Reptile Mites

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
chosen2030
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:04 pm
Country:
Location: Mesa, Arizona USA

Reptile Mites

Postby chosen2030 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:37 am

I recently discovered a few reptile mites on one of the snakes in my collection, and his enclosure was within 6 inches of my BTS's enclosure. I have physically examined my Northern and do not see any mites, but I want to treat him as though the mites may have migrated to his enclosure nonetheless. My question is what is the recommended procedure for treating a Northern BTS for reptile mites? Is It an different than what I would do for my snakes?

Just as a point of reference, for my snakes I do the following:
1) Remove the snake and place it in a critter keeper and spray the enclosure with Provent-a-mite
2) Spray the snake directly with reptile relief, leave it alone for 20 minutes
3) In the same critter keeper, add water and allow snake to soak for 30 minutes
4) Once Provent-a-mite is dry (I allow about 30 minutes), I return the snake to its enclosure
5) Repeat about once a week for at least a month (water bowl big enough for the snake to soak in is provided at all times, refreshed daily)
User avatar
JoshChimera
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1099
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm
Country:
Location: the Bay Area CA USA

Re: Reptile Mites

Postby JoshChimera » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:49 am

I just had my first hit of mites on my blue tongue skink last week. I never had mites on any of my reptiles before! What product I used: Zoomed Mite off. I removed all bedding and cage furniture and soaked the cage furniture in very hot water submerged for at least two hours and spray my product in the enclosure. I used my product on my skink and soaked him in warmer than average water. I used as directed the product on my skink spraying him and wiping the dead and live crawling mites from his body. I repeatedly removed mites for two days. The second day letting running water hit his body, drowning the ugly bloody mites! My skink was mite free in two nights.
1.0.0 Tanimbar Island Blue Tongue Skink T. scincoides chimaerea Silver Phase
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Rat snake
0.1.0 Variable King snake
1.0.1 Emerald swift (captive born)
1.2.0 Jeweled Eyed Lacerta
1.0.0 Western Hognose snake
timisimaginary
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:53 am
Country:
Location: Bel Air, MD

Re: Reptile Mites

Postby timisimaginary » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:13 am

one thing with the spray is that, unlike snakes, skinks don't have the protective membrane over their eyes to protect them, so be careful spraying around the head and eyes. you can use a towel or q-tip moistened with the anti-mite spray to wipe around the head and ears without having to spray there.

i used a somewhat different method for my skink, because i also keep tarantulas and needed to keep the use of insecticide sprays to a minimum. also, my skink was very young and only in a 20-gal tank at the time, i couldn't have used this method with a larger tank. i used a diluted ivermectin spray once a week for a month, spraying the skink directly, and let him sit in a separate tub for about an hour before bathing and rinsing him off, and meanwhile i thoroughly cleaned his enclosure. i did not use spray on the enclosure itself. i had two cages, and switched them every week, putting the extra cage in a large freezer for the week it wasn't used. afterwards i thoroughly rinsed the tub out, washed all my clothes, and showered to remove any trace of insecticide (also wore latex gloves during treatment so it wasn't getting directly on my hands). of course, if you don't keep inverts as pets, you don't need to go nearly that far in precautions.
chosen2030
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:04 pm
Country:
Location: Mesa, Arizona USA

Re: Reptile Mites

Postby chosen2030 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:34 pm

timisimaginary wrote:one thing with the spray is that, unlike snakes, skinks don't have the protective membrane over their eyes to protect them, so be careful spraying around the head and eyes. you can use a towel or q-tip moistened with the anti-mite spray to wipe around the head and ears without having to spray there.
This is a good point about their eyes that I hadn't considered. I was also wondering how long to soak a Northern, could it be harmful to them if it's done for too long (i.e. respiratory issues)?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 190 guests