Page 1 of 1
Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:44 pm
by sacs4010
Hello everyone! I noticed today that inside my Meruake BTS Toad's mouth is a little black area in what seems to be the left side, middle, upper jaw line. Any suggestions? I tried to clean it out with a q-tip, but he was not having it. lol It seems like a black crud. It is hard to explain. I will try to take a new photo of it ASAP.
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:51 pm
by sacs4010
I know these photos are not good at all, but Toad was not co-operating. lol
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:03 pm
by Susann
It doesn't quite look like the crusty build up that some Meraukes get. It might be, hard to say. I would try to get a look inside his mouth, to make sure it's not an infection on that upper gum. I know the prospect of getting a look inside his mouth probably gets you so happy and excited that you'll wake his up to get to experience it right away...
Maybe get someone to help you with it, but I think it's fairly important to make sure it's only on the edge/lip.
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:55 am
by timisimaginary
a good trick for looking inside the mouth is to use a tongue depressor (or popsicle stick, basically the same thing), slide it in flat between the lips til you get it inside the mouth, then turn it sideways to force the mouth open. gentler and safer (for you and the lizard) than trying to pry open the mouth with your fingers.
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:10 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
timisimaginary wrote:a good trick for looking inside the mouth is to use a tongue depressor (or popsicle stick, basically the same thing), slide it in flat between the lips til you get it inside the mouth, then turn it sideways to force the mouth open. gentler and safer (for you and the lizard) than trying to pry open the mouth with your fingers.
Or a plastic spatula.

Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:47 pm
by sacs4010
Whatever it is, it is just inside the mouth. It looks like the gum-line if I had to guess. Should I get hydrogen peroxide ready or anything like that?
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:47 pm
by sacs4010
Also, if it is nothing to worry about, what is it? lol
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:29 pm
by sacs4010
Here are a few better pictures of Toad's mouth. Any ideas?
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:30 pm
by sacs4010
Here is just a few nice photos of Toad. Enjoy!
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:06 pm
by sacs4010
I was able to get a closer look. Not as close as I would like. Toad wanted to roam VERY badly tonight. lol He would not sit still for a second. The good news is that he is now used to me and feels comfortable. It seems that this black material is on his scales and not really inside his mouth. I cannot be sure though.
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:48 pm
by sacs4010
What do you think everyone?
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:50 pm
by sacs4010
Well, whatever it was is now gone. lol So no worries.
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:31 am
by Romeyrider
I keep saying this every time a skink has a mouth issue they must all be connected. Did he have the same thing on the other side of his mouth? Glad it's gone, those weird mouth things usually go away by themselves. Still not sure what they are though.
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:58 pm
by Susann
It's probably nothing more than saliva buildup with food and substrate remnants that dries on the part of the lips where the scales either turn outward a bit or just overlap the lower jawline.
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:19 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Just wondering, but which pairing is he from?
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:55 pm
by Susann
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Just wondering, but which pairing is he from?
Maddie x JJ
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:13 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
My guess was right!

Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:42 am
by sacs4010
The stuff was not inside his mouth. It was kind of tucked in the area where the scales meet the mouth. I am just it is gone. Toad want out of his enclosure so bad lately. I cannot wait till I can get him a larger enclosure.
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:30 pm
by Roarschak11
sacs4010 wrote:The stuff was not inside his mouth. It was kind of tucked in the area where the scales meet the mouth. I am just it is gone. Toad want out of his enclosure so bad lately. I cannot wait till I can get him a larger enclosure.
That is exactly what Susann is trying to say, and it looks almost exactly like what she proposed that it was...
Susann wrote:It's probably nothing more than saliva buildup with food and substrate remnants that dries on the part of the lips where the scales either turn outward a bit or just overlap the lower jawline.
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:19 pm
by sacs4010
I also believe it was just left over food. lol He is a piggy. I have to say though, he is awesome! He is always wanting to come out and explore. I should be able to purchase his new HUGE enclosure at the very beginning of next year. He is going to love it. He rarely ever huffs anymore at all. I am so glad I got one of Susann's BTSs.