Something in Toad's mouth?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
sacs4010
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 264
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
- Country:
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Something in Toad's mouth?
Hello everyone! I noticed today that inside my Meruake BTS Toad's mouth is a little black area in what seems to be the left side, middle, upper jaw line. Any suggestions? I tried to clean it out with a q-tip, but he was not having it. lol It seems like a black crud. It is hard to explain. I will try to take a new photo of it ASAP.
-
sacs4010
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 264
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
- Country:
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
I know these photos are not good at all, but Toad was not co-operating. lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
It doesn't quite look like the crusty build up that some Meraukes get. It might be, hard to say. I would try to get a look inside his mouth, to make sure it's not an infection on that upper gum. I know the prospect of getting a look inside his mouth probably gets you so happy and excited that you'll wake his up to get to experience it right away...
Maybe get someone to help you with it, but I think it's fairly important to make sure it's only on the edge/lip.
Maybe get someone to help you with it, but I think it's fairly important to make sure it's only on the edge/lip.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
-
timisimaginary
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 50
- Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:53 am
- Country:
- Location: Bel Air, MD
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
a good trick for looking inside the mouth is to use a tongue depressor (or popsicle stick, basically the same thing), slide it in flat between the lips til you get it inside the mouth, then turn it sideways to force the mouth open. gentler and safer (for you and the lizard) than trying to pry open the mouth with your fingers.
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
timisimaginary wrote:a good trick for looking inside the mouth is to use a tongue depressor (or popsicle stick, basically the same thing), slide it in flat between the lips til you get it inside the mouth, then turn it sideways to force the mouth open. gentler and safer (for you and the lizard) than trying to pry open the mouth with your fingers.
Or a plastic spatula.
-
sacs4010
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 264
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
- Country:
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Whatever it is, it is just inside the mouth. It looks like the gum-line if I had to guess. Should I get hydrogen peroxide ready or anything like that?
-
sacs4010
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 264
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
- Country:
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Also, if it is nothing to worry about, what is it? lol
-
sacs4010
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 264
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
- Country:
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Here are a few better pictures of Toad's mouth. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
sacs4010
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 264
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
- Country:
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Here is just a few nice photos of Toad. Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
sacs4010
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 264
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
- Country:
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
I was able to get a closer look. Not as close as I would like. Toad wanted to roam VERY badly tonight. lol He would not sit still for a second. The good news is that he is now used to me and feels comfortable. It seems that this black material is on his scales and not really inside his mouth. I cannot be sure though.
-
sacs4010
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 264
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
- Country:
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
What do you think everyone?
-
sacs4010
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 264
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
- Country:
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Well, whatever it was is now gone. lol So no worries.
-
Romeyrider
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 5:00 am
- Country:
- Location: California, USA
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
I keep saying this every time a skink has a mouth issue they must all be connected. Did he have the same thing on the other side of his mouth? Glad it's gone, those weird mouth things usually go away by themselves. Still not sure what they are though.
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
It's probably nothing more than saliva buildup with food and substrate remnants that dries on the part of the lips where the scales either turn outward a bit or just overlap the lower jawline.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
Just wondering, but which pairing is he from?
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Just wondering, but which pairing is he from?
Maddie x JJ
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
My guess was right! 
-
sacs4010
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 264
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
- Country:
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
The stuff was not inside his mouth. It was kind of tucked in the area where the scales meet the mouth. I am just it is gone. Toad want out of his enclosure so bad lately. I cannot wait till I can get him a larger enclosure.
-
Roarschak11
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 310
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42 am
- Country:
- Location: Nebraska US
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
sacs4010 wrote:The stuff was not inside his mouth. It was kind of tucked in the area where the scales meet the mouth. I am just it is gone. Toad want out of his enclosure so bad lately. I cannot wait till I can get him a larger enclosure.
That is exactly what Susann is trying to say, and it looks almost exactly like what she proposed that it was...
Susann wrote:It's probably nothing more than saliva buildup with food and substrate remnants that dries on the part of the lips where the scales either turn outward a bit or just overlap the lower jawline.
-
sacs4010
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 264
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
- Country:
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Re: Something in Toad's mouth?
I also believe it was just left over food. lol He is a piggy. I have to say though, he is awesome! He is always wanting to come out and explore. I should be able to purchase his new HUGE enclosure at the very beginning of next year. He is going to love it. He rarely ever huffs anymore at all. I am so glad I got one of Susann's BTSs.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 194 guests
