Moving across country

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
CWyatt
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:15 pm
Country:
Location: Palm Springs, Ca

Moving across country

Postby CWyatt » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:21 pm

Hello all, I will be moving back to California from Cape Cod in a few weeks and wondering if anyone has advice on the smoothest less stressful way to go about it.. I'm not sure if I'll drive straight thru or take a bit longer. Thanx for the input..
User avatar
Jbolar
Halmaherai Lama
Halmaherai Lama
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: Moving across country

Postby Jbolar » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:50 pm

i would just pay to ship the animal/animals in question, may be easier and less stressful arrange someone in cali to pick up/care or have someone ship when you arrive and have things set up.
0.4.0 Emerald tree boas
0.8.10 Western hognose
1.1 Dumeril boas
3.4.9 Northern blue tongue + 1 house sitting.
0.1.2 Eastern blue tongue
0.1.0 Meruake BTS
0.0.2 Kei island
0.0.1 Halmahera blue tongue
1.2 Morelia viridis
0.1.0 Boxer
CWyatt
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:15 pm
Country:
Location: Palm Springs, Ca

Re: Moving across country

Postby CWyatt » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:40 pm

Thnx, but shipping is not an option.
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Moving across country

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:38 pm

This is what I did...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26152
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
Teacup
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:01 am
Country:
Location: Akron, OH

Re: Moving across country

Postby Teacup » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:20 pm

I've moved with reptiles a few times, including a 3-4 day trip just over a year ago. I always place them in secure, plastic tubs with enough room for them to move around but not bang about. Put in just a few air holes and plenty of padding. Keep them where you can control the temperature so that usually means in the car with you. At night, bring them wherever you are staying and make sure they stay warm. You can offer them water in the evening when you stop for the night. IME, reptiles will sleep right through trips like this if you keep them covered and secure. The most important element is to ensure they cannot escape their containers, never get too hot, too cold, or dehydrated. I recommend that you do not feed them for a few days (or weeks if we're talking larger critters that eat less regularly) before the trip so that they have empty bellies.
0.0.2 Merauke BTS
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
1.0.0 Cagles Map Turtle
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
0.1.0 Ball python
1.0.0 Western Hognose
1.1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
Always in my heart: Speckles the RT boa; Darwin our blue tegu; Squishy my bearded dragon.
CWyatt
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:15 pm
Country:
Location: Palm Springs, Ca

Re: Moving across country

Postby CWyatt » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:27 pm

Thankyou Teacup.. It's a coast to coast move that I've done with my Rosies before with no problem, but not with a BTS. I usually jet across with only stops for sleeping in my jeep when needed, but this time I will stop and give the critters a rest from the movement and a warm room. Thnx for the advice..
Teacup
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:01 am
Country:
Location: Akron, OH

Re: Moving across country

Postby Teacup » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:40 pm

CWyatt wrote:Thankyou Teacup.. It's a coast to coast move that I've done with my Rosies before with no problem, but not with a BTS. I usually jet across with only stops for sleeping in my jeep when needed, but this time I will stop and give the critters a rest from the movement and a warm room. Thnx for the advice..


You're welcome! Best of luck with the move. :)
0.0.2 Merauke BTS
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
1.0.0 Cagles Map Turtle
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
0.1.0 Ball python
1.0.0 Western Hognose
1.1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
Always in my heart: Speckles the RT boa; Darwin our blue tegu; Squishy my bearded dragon.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 200 guests