Do They Understand?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
NH93
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:36 am
Country:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Do They Understand?

Postby NH93 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:44 pm

Hey everyone!

I feel like a bit of a dink for not being on lately... I have had so much going on. But, in that time, Azure has grown like CRAZY.
An update here: 17.5" long, 520+g!


I want to link a very short video clip for you, of me calling Azure and her "coming to me". Now, I don't really think she comes when called. I assume it was a fluke. I think she knows her name in a way, because I talk to her so much and say her name to her basically whenever I walk by her. I am not really sure if she's actually "understanding", or just gets that I am directing my voice towards her and she's paying attention. It's kind of cool nonetheless so I got a piece on video. By the way, I didn't have food in my hand either ;) no cheap tricks LOL.

http://instagram.com/p/taLt6rKjRv/?modal=true
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154611319920313&l=6047921550203292413
(Hopefully one of those works).

Do any of your skinks show this behaviour? Very cute, either way.

Thanks for looking!
"Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want." - Heath Ledger
Scincus
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:26 am
Country: USA

Re: Do They Understand?

Postby Scincus » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:23 pm

That's really cute! With Azul she kind of just ignores me even if she knows I'm talking at her. When I let her explore she eventually comes to me, but she only does so when she wants to.
Dood
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:29 am
Country:
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: Do They Understand?

Postby Dood » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:43 am

Reptiles are smart and trainable :)

Most zoos are using classical and operant conditioning to train their large reptiles for routine and veterinary procedures to reduce the stress of forcibly restraining them.

A quick google search of "reptiles training" list several studies. Usually the abstract is only given but full articles can be purchased or accessed by University students or campus computers. With a little digging you can even find the whole paper :)

Visual discrimination and reversal learning in rough-necked monitor lizards (Varanus rudicollis). - https://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstream/h ... sequence=2

The Use of Classical and Operant Conditioning in Training Aldabra Tortoises (Geochelone gigantea) for Venipuncture and Other Husbandry Issues - https://www.animalsandsociety.org/asset ... 060103.pdf

Using operant conditioning and desensitization to facilitate veterinary care with captive reptiles. - http://books.google.ca/books?id=619CY_S ... CDIQ6AEwBw
User avatar
NH93
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:36 am
Country:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Do They Understand?

Postby NH93 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:25 am

Dood wrote:Reptiles are smart and trainable :)

Most zoos are using classical and operant conditioning to train their large reptiles for routine and veterinary procedures to reduce the stress of forcibly restraining them.

A quick google search of "reptiles training" list several studies. Usually the abstract is only given but full articles can be purchased or accessed by University students or campus computers. With a little digging you can even find the whole paper :)

Visual discrimination and reversal learning in rough-necked monitor lizards (Varanus rudicollis). - https://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstream/h ... sequence=2

The Use of Classical and Operant Conditioning in Training Aldabra Tortoises (Geochelone gigantea) for Venipuncture and Other Husbandry Issues - https://www.animalsandsociety.org/asset ... 060103.pdf

Using operant conditioning and desensitization to facilitate veterinary care with captive reptiles. - http://books.google.ca/books?id=619CY_S ... CDIQ6AEwBw




THANK YOU!! Is there a way to "thank" your post? ;) That is very cool.
"Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want." - Heath Ledger
User avatar
MechHAN
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 10:45 pm
Country:
Location: China

Re: Do They Understand?

Postby MechHAN » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:29 am

Reptiles are smart and trainable...right...
But on the other hand,I spend years to learn english and i wont understand any word from you when i was 10..Language is not a simple training...

And I do love my bluey,but I think monitor are much smarter...
User avatar
SmaugTheBluey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 pm
Country:
Location: Mars

Re: Do They Understand?

Postby SmaugTheBluey » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:01 pm

What are you feeding him? its like bts steroids! My bts does move his head when I say something but I have never had him come towards me.
User avatar
jdheff1982
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am
Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington
Country: USA
Location: Derby,KS

Re: Do They Understand?

Postby jdheff1982 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:37 pm

My guy reacts somewhat. If he sees me enter the room, he'll tilt his head up some. If I sit in my PC chair not far from his enclosure and wave, he'll start tongue flicking. And when he sees me and wants out, he'll try climbing the front glass doors. Sometimes when I baby talk to him, he'll jerk his head from side to side a bit. Not sure what that means.
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
User avatar
NH93
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:36 am
Country:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Do They Understand?

Postby NH93 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:13 pm

SmaugTheBluey wrote:What are you feeding him? its like bts steroids! My bts does move his head when I say something but I have never had him come towards me.



She gets a feeding everyone other day, a mixture I make loosely based on LLL Reptiles' YouTube video :) she was fed daily for a bit, and now she's huge!

Hehe.

Azure also scratches when she wants out now... which is very annoying sometimes. When I put my hand in she sometimes nudges me with the top of her head so I'll pet her. She's got an awesome personality!
"Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want." - Heath Ledger

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 156 guests