My skink is acting oddly
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:10 pm
Hi everyone,
I'm kind of concerned about my blue tongue skink Mr. S. He's been acting far more aggressive than normal, which we initially dismissed as being aggression from shedding but it's continued through his shed. His shed skin started coming off on Wednesday and he still doesn't seem to be finished.
He seems like he might be lethargic, when he's not hiding he's curled up near the heat lamp in the corner. When we put our hand in the cage he gets huffy and makes his way toward us in this jerky movement. I suppose it could be that he's lunging/posturing but it's not normal for him to be this aggressive.
He hasn't gone off food, in fact he seems to come for it faster now. And we haven't heard any clicking/gurgling either, but we did notice some possible discolouration on his nails. Could the season change affect his behaviour like this? It just became fall here. We've also been taking him out less frequently lately due to life/etc.
Edit: Another thing I wanted to add; my vet told me several months back that 620 grams is overweight and to reduce the amount we fed him. We did that and his weight didn't appear to change whatsoever and now this is happening. He seemed pretty hungry whenever we go to feed him so we increased his food again slightly and he's still got a voracious appetite. I'm obviously not blaming the vet but I'm trying to think of any reason he could be acting this way at all.
Thanks for the help, i'll provide more information if it's needed.
I'm kind of concerned about my blue tongue skink Mr. S. He's been acting far more aggressive than normal, which we initially dismissed as being aggression from shedding but it's continued through his shed. His shed skin started coming off on Wednesday and he still doesn't seem to be finished.
He seems like he might be lethargic, when he's not hiding he's curled up near the heat lamp in the corner. When we put our hand in the cage he gets huffy and makes his way toward us in this jerky movement. I suppose it could be that he's lunging/posturing but it's not normal for him to be this aggressive.
He hasn't gone off food, in fact he seems to come for it faster now. And we haven't heard any clicking/gurgling either, but we did notice some possible discolouration on his nails. Could the season change affect his behaviour like this? It just became fall here. We've also been taking him out less frequently lately due to life/etc.
Edit: Another thing I wanted to add; my vet told me several months back that 620 grams is overweight and to reduce the amount we fed him. We did that and his weight didn't appear to change whatsoever and now this is happening. He seemed pretty hungry whenever we go to feed him so we increased his food again slightly and he's still got a voracious appetite. I'm obviously not blaming the vet but I'm trying to think of any reason he could be acting this way at all.
Thanks for the help, i'll provide more information if it's needed.