Baby northern accidentally ate some bedding and I'm worried

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Delly
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:35 pm
Country:
Location: Georgia

Baby northern accidentally ate some bedding and I'm worried

Postby Delly » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:47 am

Hey all,

my baby Northern (only about a month and a half old) accidentally ate some carefresh bedding today after I tried giving him a waxworm as a treat (I only gave him one, I had just returned from my local feeder supplier and thought it'd be nice to give him a treat). He had it in his mouth and was walking around the cage as if he didn't know what to do with it. I looked away for just a few moments and looked back at him and noticed he had finally tried to eat the waxworm, but there was also bedding in his mouth as well. I'm not sure exactly how much he ate, but it couldn't have been too much... I tried to grab him and get it out of his mouth but by the time I picked him up it was too late. :(

The bedding is carefresh. Should I be extremely concerned? Is there anything I can do for him? Maybe some warm soaks? :noknow: I'm thinking about just removing particulate substrate altogether...it worries me way too much that he's gonna eat it...but at the same time I don't want to deprive him of his burrowing needs... :( I'm very scared right now. I own two leopard geckos as well and we take impaction very seriously for obvious reasons...
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Baby northern accidentally ate some bedding and I'm worr

Postby Fatal_S » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:56 am

If they're well hydrated they can pass things quite easily. Maybe feed a meal of banana - that tends to cause loose, runny, smelly poops, the should clear any substrate out.
User avatar
Delly
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:35 pm
Country:
Location: Georgia

Re: Baby northern accidentally ate some bedding and I'm worr

Postby Delly » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:01 pm

Fatal_S wrote:If they're well hydrated they can pass things quite easily. Maybe feed a meal of banana - that tends to cause loose, runny, smelly poops, the should clear any substrate out.


He's taken a lot of very healthy-looking poops since I've gotten him and I always supply him with fresh, clean water and I know he's drinking it... I'll try feeding him some banana but he ate like a little piggy this morning and might not be hungry. :lol: Thank you for the suggestion.
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Re: Baby northern accidentally ate some bedding and I'm worr

Postby Coomassie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:13 pm

Like Mel said, I wouldn't worry too much. I've seen both my skinks eat their fair share of bedding and they have always been fine. Just keep an eye on your little guy. The first sign that he is impacted will generally be that he is lethargic. If you notice that, off to the vet ASAP.
Cay T.
User avatar
TJreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:16 am
Your Facebook name: Tristan Dudder
Country:
Location: Ca

Re: Baby northern accidentally ate some bedding and I'm worr

Postby TJreptiles » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:11 pm

Mine always seems to pass it fine
2.1.4 Northern's

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 168 guests