Have not seen my BTS for some time now.

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
earth
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:48 am
Country:
Location: United Kingdom

Have not seen my BTS for some time now.

Postby earth » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am a first time BTS owner but not a first time lizard owner.

For the past 3 days now I have not seen my BTS at all his just been hiding under his log and not coming out at all? I tried to get him out but just heist at me so I stopped there.

At first I thought he was shedding (Normally when he is shedding he hinds away) but it never takes 3 days to shed. He has not come out to eat or drink!

My only guess is that he is hibernating but I was told that is around November (UK)

But like I said this is my first BTS and I am worried. Any help would be great :)

My BTS is only 6 months old. (Still a baby/unknown sex)

Thank you all!
User avatar
jdheff1982
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am
Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington
Country: USA
Location: Derby,KS

Re: Have not seen my BTS for some time now.

Postby jdheff1982 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:48 pm

Questions:
1> What type of skink
2> How long have you owned it and the age
3> What is the basking temp, humidity and cool side temp
4> What Substrate
5> Diet

Sometimes these guys only come out when we aren't around; so, it seems as though they hide all the time. Mine is like this, I work in the evenings; so, unless I get up early enough or he just happens to be out, I don't get to see him much. Sucks though, because I don't handle him as often as I'd like.

Give us some feedback on the questions above.
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
earth
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:48 am
Country:
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Have not seen my BTS for some time now.

Postby earth » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:32 pm

jdheff1982 wrote:Questions:
1> What type of skink
2> How long have you owned it and the age
3> What is the basking temp, humidity and cool side temp
4> What Substrate
5> Diet

Sometimes these guys only come out when we aren't around; so, it seems as though they hide all the time. Mine is like this, I work in the evenings; so, unless I get up early enough or he just happens to be out, I don't get to see him much. Sucks though, because I don't handle him as often as I'd like.

Give us some feedback on the questions above.


Hi jdheff1982,

1> Merauke
2 > 6-8 Months its still a baby
3 > Basking temp = 30-35c Humidity = 20-30% cool side temp = 20-15c
4 > Woodbark and paper shreds
5 > Normally its a mix it really depnds what I have in my fridge or what I have for dinner etc.. So veg meat fruit I have never feed him cat/dog food.

My BTS used to do that a lot and only come out when his alone. After some time he got used to us and now just comes out whenever he is hungry or thirsty... But now I have not seen him at all! He is not eating or drinking anything : ( And I know this since his food has not gone down.

I thought he was ill/dead so I got him out but as soon as I tried to get him all I got was hissing and he raw away.

Also I know that feeling too I would love to handle my BTS more and take him out in the garden and such... But sadly I don't see him and I don't like forcing the little guy out.
sacs4010
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:44 am
Country:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States

Re: Have not seen my BTS for some time now.

Postby sacs4010 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:42 pm

Lately my Merauke BTS Toad never comes out. At least when I am home. I know he is moving around because of his substrate and plants seem to move around. He used to come out from time to time, but now he doesn't. He is eating less now though too because he is getting older and larger. Which reminds me, I need to weigh him again soon. He is in pre-shed now, so I will wait till he sheds. When I do not see him for a few days I dig around and find him. I take him out and make sure he is alright. It kills me to take him out because he wants to explore so badly, but my apartment is not BTS proof at all. I need to create something for him to be able to explore and get out of his enclosure.
earth
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:48 am
Country:
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Have not seen my BTS for some time now.

Postby earth » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:35 pm

sacs4010 wrote:Lately my Merauke BTS Toad never comes out. At least when I am home. I know he is moving around because of his substrate and plants seem to move around. He used to come out from time to time, but now he doesn't. He is eating less now though too because he is getting older and larger. Which reminds me, I need to weigh him again soon. He is in pre-shed now, so I will wait till he sheds. When I do not see him for a few days I dig around and find him. I take him out and make sure he is alright. It kills me to take him out because he wants to explore so badly, but my apartment is not BTS proof at all. I need to create something for him to be able to explore and get out of his enclosure.



Hey sacs4010,

For the past couple of days I have still not seen my BTS but two days ago he did come out and ate and he ate everything in his bowl lol (First time) and now I have not seen him again his food bowel has food and his water bowl has water and yet untouched. Am not sure what he is up too he is not shedding…. I know that feeling I wish my house was BTS proof but I live with cats and dogs am sure you will think of something! I was thinking a Hamster ball but I don’t think that will work as much lol.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 193 guests