Page 1 of 1

new outdoor planted enclosure

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:18 am
by Mark p
Hi everyone, I have been plugging away at a new outdoor enclosure for the last few months, I prepared the soil and planted in Autumn, using all local native species, incorporating species which produce edible fruits or flowers. the dimensions are 3000mm x 900mm x 800mm high. I have mulched it with a deep layer of eucalyptus mulch. I am now on the lookout for some nice weathered branches or stumps to finish it off.

Plant list:
Allocasuarina striata - a small sheoak
Melaleuca brevifolia - desert paperbark
Dodonaea viscosa ssp. spatulata - sticky hopbush
Dodonaea stenozyga - desert hop bush
Santalum acuminatum - quandong/native peach
*Dianella revoluta - flax lily
Poa labillardieri - tussock grass
*Carprobrotus rossii - native pigface
Correa pulchella - salmon correa
*Einadia nutans - climbing saltbush
*Billardiera cymosa - sweet apple-berry
Eutaxia microphylla - mallee bush-pea
*Kunzea pomifera - muntries
*Whalenbergia stricta - native bluebell
Themeda triandra - kangaroo grass
*Enchylaena tomentosa - ruby saltbush
Goodenia albiflora - white goodenia

*denotes species which produce edible flowers and/or fruits

I have no idea if quandongs are eaten by Tiliqua but I have been meaning to find out.

I would love to see other members' outdoor planted enclosures, and would also love to hear from anyone with first hand experience re: South Australian native flowers/fruits which are eaten by Tiliqua, I am compiling a list. Thanks.

IMGP2184.JPG

IMGP2192.JPG

IMGP2199.JPG

IMGP2200.JPG

IMGP2206.JPG

Re: new outdoor planted enclosure

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:46 am
by NorthEastBlue
Looks very nice, i bet theyll love it. Great job

Jeremy

Re: new outdoor planted enclosure

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:31 am
by Richard.C
Looks great mark,as do the inhabitants ,looking forward to seeing how your plants develop

Re: new outdoor planted enclosure

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:01 pm
by Romeyrider
That looks awesome! Great work and very creative!

Re: new outdoor planted enclosure

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:51 am
by Mark p
thanks guys, yea it'll look a lot better once the plants to fill it out a bit more, hopefully the sleepies don't bulldoze the more fragile ones, I should have probably let the plants get a bit stronger before adding the skinks but it's been really sunny and the days are warming up and I couldn't wait any longer lol.

Re: new outdoor planted enclosure

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:06 pm
by Scotts1au
Great to see people experimenting with different native plantings. It will be interesting to see your observations. I have found that as time goes on, nutrient levels, weeds etc tend to build up due to bluey poo etc - carprobrotus etc don't persist well with the competition but the larger grasses are very good.