Page 1 of 1

skink lost its tail

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:25 pm
by skinkerdinker
so I went to check on my skink today and when I looked at his tail I saw an inch of his tail had fallen off! We are going to take him to the vet as soon as we can but is there anything we should do in the meantime? Is there anything we should put on it?

Re: skink lost its tail

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:51 pm
by RoryBreaker
Keep the skink on paper to avoid cage substrate from sticking to the wound. It will dry off and should heal on its own but it will never grow back same, if all. :(

Keep the skink on its own if it has cage mates. The vet may administer some sort of antibiotic cream on the exposed wound, but at the end of the day, they are designed to break off without being detrimental to the skinks health.

Sometimes tails drop from no obvious stimulus at all. I have even seen a tail drop just from picking the bluey up( mid body) and the skink wiggling a bit too vigorously.