Page 1 of 1

Dangers of Buttercup Injestion

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:26 pm
by DianaBlueTongue
I see lots of pictures of blueys roaming around outside in their owners yards now the summer is in full swing. I do all the time, they all really seem to enjoy it, but make sure to watch if they decide to nibble on any plants growing. Buttercups, the tiny yellow flowers a lot of us used to play with as little kids, can be very toxic when ingested. They look completely harmless but can have some really serious affects on most animals when eaten, reptiles included.

This is an excerpt from an article I found online explaining how they can be dangerous to reptiles.

"Reptiles are becoming increasingly popular as pets, and they too are affected by a number of toxic plants. Azaleas and Oleanders can be dangerous if eaten by your lizard or turtle. Buttercups and Jimson Weed will affect your reptile's nervous system, while Flax and Soybean plants contain dangerous levels of toxic nitrates. Reptiles require veterinarians that specialize in their care, and if your reptile ingests something that you believe to be toxic you should contact your veterinarian immediately."

This is the address for the full article. http://www.veterinarians.com/articles/p ... mals.html/

Just thought I'd share, I attached a pic of some buttercups incase someone doesn't know what they look like :) :D :D