Hi I'm new here
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
GoodbyeCourage
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 2
- Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:45 am
- Country:
- Location: England
Hi I'm new here
Just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Saffron
I've been lurking on here for a few months but since I'm getting my first bluey in a few weeks I thought I'd make a post. Over that past few weeks I've been putting together the little ones viv and I have finally finished! I thought I'd attach a few pictures as I'm pretty proud of my work and it'd be nice to have some feedback on it
Its a 4x2x2 viv, the basking platform is removable and is raised so it also acts as a hide, and the "tree" on the left is also a hide. The little one I'm getting is apparently an Indonesian (I've added a pic for confirmation) so I'm using a sand/soil mix though I intend to add some leaf litter and make it into a bioactive substrate. Any advise would be amazing though I'm pretty sure I'm clued up on most things (I hope)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- MechHAN
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 175
- Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 10:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: China
Re: Hi I'm new here
Indonesian for sure...remind me last year when I have my Yig...you may want a water bowl in it...and I think the repti-bark is better than the sand/soil mix...
-
Roarschak11
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 310
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42 am
- Country:
- Location: Nebraska US
Re: Hi I'm new here
You have a Halamehra, and I'm not so sure how the sand/dirt substrate will work. Indos need high humidity and unless there is some moss in ine of your hides, I don't think it will be humid enough. Also, as mechHAN said, you will need a large bowl for the little one to bathe in.
It looks very nice though!
- DianaBlueTongue
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 656
- Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Rowland PA
Re: Hi I'm new here
The enclosure looks GREAT! I loved looking at all the pics you posted of the building process, I love seeing folks putting so much time and thought into their blueys new home:) I would be a bit wary of the sand and soil mix too. If you're going for a natural look maybe try a mix of cypress mulch, eco earth, and sphagnum moss or the exo terra forest moss that comes in a compressed brick like the eco earth.
Sand has a bad tendency for causing impaction problems from being ingested and since blueys love to burrow I'd imagine it would get caked in the nostrils and eye lids a lot if it were kept too damp and since indo sub species require a bit higher humidity then the aussie blues it most likely would be damp most of the time. The mix I mentioned look great, holds humidity very well, and is loose enough that they blues can burrow well in it.
It also does seem to have a lot of Halmahera traits but at the same time doesn't. If I had to guess I would say a mix between a Halmahera and either an Irian Jaya or Merauke, but I'm still getting the hang of naming sub species rom pictures so could be wrong, just doesn't look all the way like any other Halmahera I've seen.
Sand has a bad tendency for causing impaction problems from being ingested and since blueys love to burrow I'd imagine it would get caked in the nostrils and eye lids a lot if it were kept too damp and since indo sub species require a bit higher humidity then the aussie blues it most likely would be damp most of the time. The mix I mentioned look great, holds humidity very well, and is loose enough that they blues can burrow well in it.
It also does seem to have a lot of Halmahera traits but at the same time doesn't. If I had to guess I would say a mix between a Halmahera and either an Irian Jaya or Merauke, but I'm still getting the hang of naming sub species rom pictures so could be wrong, just doesn't look all the way like any other Halmahera I've seen.
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Buddha
Buddha
- Noah H.
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:20 pm
- Country:
- Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Re: Hi I'm new here
Welcome to the forum!
I like your terrarium setup, but as the others said, you probably need a substrate that will hold more moisture. You definitely want a water bowl as well.
I like your terrarium setup, but as the others said, you probably need a substrate that will hold more moisture. You definitely want a water bowl as well.0.0.1 Northern "Obi-wan"
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Hi I'm new here
I think you can probably test out the bioactive substrate, and if your humidity is high enough so that your skink has no shedding issues, you can keep it. If not, switch to cypress mulch or something similar. And yes, you need a water bowl. Beautiful enclosure!
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
-
GoodbyeCourage
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 2
- Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:45 am
- Country:
- Location: England
Re: Hi I'm new here
Thanks for all of the replies guys! I've got some moss in the cool hide but I'll get some more and mix it in, it is a mix of play sand and eco earth to be more precise but I was planning on mixing in some cypress mulch and orchid bark too I'll get some when I'm next out
There also is a water bowl in their now but wasn't when I took the pictures doh! I chose a sand soil mix as it was highly recommended on another forum but if it's no good ill ditch it
I'll post some pictures of the little one when it arrives to see if anyone can better identify, not that I'm fussed just wanna get the hang of telling between locales myself to be honest 
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Hi I'm new here
Welcome! 
I used a sand/soil mix at on point and loved it! I would only recommend that you put A TON of leaf litter on top of the soil mix.

I used a sand/soil mix at on point and loved it! I would only recommend that you put A TON of leaf litter on top of the soil mix.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Hi I'm new here
i agree with monitor lizard,nothing wrong with a sand / soil mix, it holds humidity fine ,some leaf litter or something on top will help hold humidity in longer to ,and is probably as close to a natural substrate you can get for indos
its not just desert blueys that live in/on sand,and in indonesia,like parts of north east australia,rainforests can run right to the coast
its not just desert blueys that live in/on sand,and in indonesia,like parts of north east australia,rainforests can run right to the coast
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Hi I'm new here
Oh, and regarding what species you have, it is an Indonesian(Tiliqua gigas gigas) I wouldn't call it a Halmahera.
-
Romeyrider
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 5:00 am
- Country:
- Location: California, USA
Re: Hi I'm new here
Absolutely beautiful set up! You should be proud of yourself and your new bluey should be very happy.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 230 guests
