Page 1 of 1

I have a question?!!

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:17 am
by Ally_D
I just got a skink last-night and i'm a first timer. Whenever i go to pet her she breaths heavily and makes noises. Is this a sign of aggression?
What does this mean? She dosn't try to bite me, she either stays till or trys to run away to her water bowl. Im just confused and need some advice and answers x.x

Re: I have a question?!!

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:34 am
by Coomassie
Your skink is "huffing". This is a sign that they want to be left alone. It is them saying "I'm scared" or "You are annoying me". It is not as aggressive as a hiss or a strike. This is completely normal behavior. I have a very very tame male Northern who huffs all the time but he doesn't bite. The huffing will lessen as he gets used to you and his new environment. Also, as a general rule, you should let a new reptile settle in for a week or two before you start handling.

Re: I have a question?!!

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:36 am
by Ally_D
Thank you :D When do you think i could start to feed her?

Re: I have a question?!!

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:34 am
by Coomassie
How old is your skink? Adults are generally fed once a week while babies should be fed every other day. Some will eat right away, others will not. You can just leave food in the enclosure for a couple of hours. What are you offering for food?

Re: I have a question?!!

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:00 pm
by Susann
Most skinks do not enjoy being "petted". I know we are all used to our dogs and cats, who love to be petted, stroked, and scratched. Reptiles generally do not enjoy this at all.
If she is huffing, like Coomassie said, that means she wants you to stop doing what you're doing. Sometimes we can't; we need to pick them up to move them or take them somewhere, but if you're petting or stroking her and she huffs, you should stop. You are needlessly stressing her out.

Welcome to the site! We would love to see pictures!

Re: I have a question?!!

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:00 pm
by Katrina
Welcome! :D

Have a read through some of this: viewforum.php?f=24

Re: I have a question?!!

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:24 am
by Ally_D
Thank you guys. I haven't been petting her.. im giving her her space and im gonna let her settle in first. She looks about 2-3 years old ^-^

Re: I have a question?!!

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:00 pm
by Noah H.
Welcome! :btsnet:

Re: I have a question?!!

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:04 pm
by Susann
Ally_D wrote:I haven't been petting her..

Hm. The reason I wrote all that about petting reptiles is because I saw this:
Ally_D wrote:Whenever i go to pet her she breaths heavily and makes noises.

Re: I have a question?!!

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:33 pm
by Ally_D
I know I mean of yesterday I have stopped pettting her

Re: I have a question?!!

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:03 pm
by Susann
Ally_D wrote:I know I mean of yesterday I have stopped pettting her

Oh OK, I misunderstood.

Re: I have a question?!!

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:04 pm
by sacs4010
It seems some of the blue tongue skinks enjoy being touched in some way. I am sure like ANY animals they all have their own personalities. lol I would never purposely stress my animal out. I would try to work on having them become more comfortable around me. I will say this again, I am no expect like so many others on this forum. I am just speaking using my experiences with other animals and reptiles.

Re: I have a question?!!

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:12 am
by Ally_D
She is doing allot better :) i have been holding her and she is calm once being held. She just dosnt like it when i reach my hand into the tank to touch her.