Page 1 of 1

Females ? or not ? One more ask for help ;)

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:48 pm
by AmicusDraco.eu
CB 2013 T.s.intermedia - what do you think about their genders ?

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

thank you in advance for your opinions :)

Re: Females ? or not ?

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:45 pm
by Katrina
Those are gorgeous blueys!

The photos aren't the best for sexing though - any way you can add some birds-eye photos showing the entire body and tail? You really need to see the entire body / tail and proportions rather than just parts. :)

Re: Females ? or not ?

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:09 pm
by Richard.C
Whats there size?

As in length,they do look girly if there a reasonable size,some full body pics would make it easier to tell

Re: Females ? or not ? NEW PHOTOS!

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:51 am
by AmicusDraco.eu
Some new photos:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

What do you think ?

I've seen the behavior of one of the lizards: spawning pelvic floor, hovering tail, and then as if it wanted to lick its self - if this is not the behavior of a male?

Re: Females ? or not ? NEW PHOTOS!

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:01 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
This is what I think:

Re: Females ? or not ? NEW PHOTOS!

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:01 pm
by Jeff
I think you are correct.

Re: Females ? or not ? NEW PHOTOS!

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:19 pm
by AmicusDraco.eu
What about the behavior which I have seen ?

Re: Females ? or not ? NEW PHOTOS!

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:23 am
by saisaac
I have never been terribly good at determining gender in species that do not have clear morphological differences such as pores or distinct markings. Too me they both look identical, so what makes others believe they are male and a female? The only real difference I discern is that the one labeled male has a slightly less thick tail and perhaps a slightly thicker neck.

Either way, they are stunning looking. :thumbs:

Re: Females ? or not ? NEW PHOTOS!

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:00 pm
by Katrina
Saisaac - the big thing in gender is the proportion of body to tail. Forget anything you may have learned about head size (I have no idea why people keep thinking that matters...), just focus on the length of the tail in proportion to the body. Females generally have a much longer body vs tail - they need the room for babies. There are lots of other subtle differences but that it the big one. :)

That's why pictures of the full body including tail are important.

Re: Females ? or not ? NEW PHOTOS!

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:50 pm
by AmicusDraco.eu
Katrina wrote:Saisaac - the big thing in gender is the proportion of body to tail. Forget anything you may have learned about head size (I have no idea why people keep thinking that matters...), just focus on the length of the tail in proportion to the body. Females generally have a much longer body vs tail - they need the room for babies. There are lots of other subtle differences but that it the big one. :)

That's why pictures of the full body including tail are important.


Thank you very much ! This is very interesting observation for me ! I will take new photo of the all 3 orange Tsi and will post here.

Re: Females ? or not ? NEW PHOTOS!

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:00 pm
by Katrina
Glad it helped. There is a LOT more to sexing that people who have kept / handled / bred hundreds of blueys know (which I haven't) but much of that is likely only to be learned with experience. For the common North American species, the body to tail ratio is the best indicator (although there are some that can't be visually sexed well at all).

Re: Females ? or not ? NEW PHOTOS!

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:29 am
by saisaac
Thank you. Outside of this forum you can get some really random info when it comes to trying to determine gender and I believe even the bluey bible mentions a more narrow head on females. I had noticed the tail difference in my two and was wondering about that. My male and female are about the same length overall but the male definitely has a longer tail compared to the one we assume to be female. Our lady is much heavier and thicker too.

Re: Females ? or not ? NEW PHOTOS!

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:07 am
by Ally_D
I think they look like females ^-^

Re: Females ? or not ? NEW PHOTOS!

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:56 pm
by Katrina
I'm not sure if the bluey bible mentions head size - I thought that came from other lizard species, but I don't remember reference in the bluey bible. It is the most common sexing method and in my experience (as well as others) it's completely unreliable. My bluey with the largest head is a girl... originally named Jaxon due to the head size sexing method! :hehe:

Re: Females ? or not ? NEW PHOTOS!

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:57 pm
by Katrina
Ally_D wrote:I think they look like females ^-^


Curious - what are you basing that on?

Re: Females ? or not ? NEW PHOTOS!

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:08 am
by AmicusDraco.eu
New photos :

R1 CB 2013

Image
Image

R2 CB 2013

Image
Image

R3 CB 2013

Image
Image

Buba CB 2012

Image
Image

Re: Females ? NEW PHOTOS !

Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:16 am
by AmicusDraco.eu
AmicusDraco.eu wrote:CB 2013 T.s.intermedia - what do you think about their genders ?

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

thank you in advance for your opinions :)

Re: Females ? or not ? One more ask for help ;)

Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:46 am
by AmicusDraco.eu
New photos :

Buba :

Image
Image

R1

Image
Image

R2

Image
Image

R3

Image

:chin: :noknow: :helpme: