Page 1 of 1
Feeding insects
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:47 pm
by mark_w
I like to feed some insects to my blueys (Australian) now and then. To be honest, I don't do this very often, months can go by without. I usually do this as a mid week snack, between larger weekend feeds. I usually buy a couple of big boxes of large locust hoppers when I go to Hamm. Once or twice a year I buy half a kilo of morios. But usually I use dubia roaches, either large nymphs or males, since I breed these to use as feeders. I gutload them with fresh veggies first. I have noticed that since their brumation my skinks are going batsh*t for roaches. I'm sure its not just because they are hungry and feeding well. They are running across their vivs to take them from feeding tongs. Anyone ever notice an increased appetite for insects in springtime? I'm guessing it is a time when bugs are abundant down under?
Mark.
Re: Feeding insects
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:06 pm
by Richard.C
I havnt noticed an increased want for insects in mine,but dont overly feed insects either,when i had a few dwarf monitors i used to buy crickets and roaches in bulk,and give a few to blueys as well,some were non fussed but others went troppo chasing them
Funnily along with westerns,centralians and stumpies were very keen on chasing tgem,the stumpies were pretty hopeless but persistant,amazingly centralians are quite adapt at running them down,with other species some were very keen,others didnt bat an eyelid and plain ignored them
Interesting observation mark
Re: Feeding insects
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:17 pm
by Katrina
Yeah, I have noticed that in past. I haven't been feeding insects lately but now I'm thinking I should pick some up... They always love feeders but now that you mention it I have noticed changes in their diet preference over the year and insects are always a favorite especially in spring.
Re: Feeding insects
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:24 pm
by Tom
I offer male dubias to my adults and they just aren't interested. My two juvies love them though.
Re: Feeding insects
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:42 am
by mark_w
Richard.C wrote:I havnt noticed an increased want for insects in mine,but dont overly feed insects either,when i had a few dwarf monitors i used to buy crickets and roaches in bulk,and give a few to blueys as well,some were non fussed but others went troppo chasing them
Funnily along with westerns,centralians and stumpies were very keen on chasing tgem,the stumpies were pretty hopeless but persistant,amazingly centralians are quite adapt at running them down,with other species some were very keen,others didnt bat an eyelid and plain ignored them
Interesting observation mark
Menno was telling me that multis and to an extent occis are really keen insect feeders. Not heard about shingles though! I can't imagine mine chasing anything! He doesn't seem interested but the easterns and northerns are. I get that, where some are keen and others totally ignore them, most of the time. That's why I noticed the change in behaviour...
Mark.
Re: Feeding insects
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:43 am
by mark_w
Katrina wrote:Yeah, I have noticed that in past. I haven't been feeding insects lately but now I'm thinking I should pick some up... They always love feeders but now that you mention it I have noticed changes in their diet preference over the year and insects are always a favorite especially in spring.
Not just me then Kat! I feed the insects because I have them and it is fun as much as anything but it is probably also beneficial in terms of stimulation and nutrition...
Mark.