Feeding Frenzy!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Goldfields 1
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:17 am
- Country:
- Location: Australia
Feeding Frenzy!
Heavy rain makes for hundreds of snails that the Goldfields love!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Mark p
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 25
- Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:50 am
- Country:
- Location: Adelaide, Australia
Re: Feeding Frenzy!
great stuff. such a great, healthy food source, and they are free too.
I collect all the biggest ones from my garden after rain events and freeze them, then thaw them as needed, and let the others grow and breed up again. I've found free range snail farming is much easier than breeding them in bins lol.
what are peoples opinions in regards to feeding wild caught snails? I used to feed live, but now freeze first for 3 weeks minimum to kill off nematodes or other internal parasites, I don't even know if this is necessary but I do it just for peace of mind, as well as convenience, as it hardly ever rains here in Adelaide lol, so its good to have them on hand ready to feed in their nice individual packaging.
oh, and very nice goldfields
I collect all the biggest ones from my garden after rain events and freeze them, then thaw them as needed, and let the others grow and breed up again. I've found free range snail farming is much easier than breeding them in bins lol.
what are peoples opinions in regards to feeding wild caught snails? I used to feed live, but now freeze first for 3 weeks minimum to kill off nematodes or other internal parasites, I don't even know if this is necessary but I do it just for peace of mind, as well as convenience, as it hardly ever rains here in Adelaide lol, so its good to have them on hand ready to feed in their nice individual packaging.
oh, and very nice goldfields
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Feeding Frenzy!
I used to tip bucket fulls of wild caughts in for blotchies and easterns,never had issues over many years of doing it,live near market gardens now so dont trust the snails so much these days as they have baited in the past
- mark_w
- Skinks in the UK

- Posts: 612
- Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:43 am
- Country:
- Location: Buxton, UK
Re: Feeding Frenzy!
Beautiful Goldfields!
I feed wildcaught garden slugs and snails all the time, mostly to my pink tongues. If you are worried about snails, keep them in an old aquarium or fauna box for a few days. Feed them on fresh greens etc. and then freeze or use. If you feed them on carrots, when their poop is orange, you know they have turned over their gut contents!
Mark.
I feed wildcaught garden slugs and snails all the time, mostly to my pink tongues. If you are worried about snails, keep them in an old aquarium or fauna box for a few days. Feed them on fresh greens etc. and then freeze or use. If you feed them on carrots, when their poop is orange, you know they have turned over their gut contents!
Mark.
scincoides - intermedia - nigrolutea - occipitalis
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 400 guests
