Amidst the hounding of my 6 year old to allow him to have some baby blueys in his room I stumbled across the below pictured enclosure for $30 at a local scrapyard when I took some rubbish to dump today. It is 4ft long. One piece of glass was missing - no thermostat etc but I ran down to the local hardware store and have rewired the thing to accommodate a CHE (with an on/off thermostat) and small spot light. Pick up the glass panel tomorrow morning that I'm getting cut. A bit of poo stuck to it some other stains i.e rust which I'm hoping to remove tomorrow but.. yeh and give it some more ventilation. I'm not concerned about the appearance deficits (as it is strictly functional and will live in my garage).
Any thoughts on reusing a second hand enclosure for blueys? I'm not an expert in any relevant risks ... cant think of any specific risks, but thought it worth the question.
Pros and Cons of Second Hand Reptile Enclosures for Blueys
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Pros and Cons of Second Hand Reptile Enclosures for Blueys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
- Vengeance
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 117
- Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 am
- Country: Australia
- Location: Canberra
Re: Pros and Cons of Second Hand Reptile Enclosures for Blue
Looks like a pretty decent find. I would be concerned about whether or not the animal in it prior had any contagious diseases or mites that could lay dormant. I'm no expert on this, so I'm not too certain on the whats and hows with prepping second hand enclosures for use. A liberal spray of diluted F10 or similar product should render the enclosure clean. I can't think of any other potential problems at this time.
Pros:
Cheaper than brand new.
Usually minor repairs are all that are needed to get it functional.
Cons:
Possible disease transfer.
Possible rewiring required.
Pros:
Cheaper than brand new.
Usually minor repairs are all that are needed to get it functional.
Cons:
Possible disease transfer.
Possible rewiring required.
2.1.0 Eastern BTS ~ Gizmo, Ninja, Astro
2.0.0 Jungle CP ~ Caine, Link
1.0.0 Darwin CP ~ Jancsi
2.0.0 Jungle CP ~ Caine, Link
1.0.0 Darwin CP ~ Jancsi
- Sebastian
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 204
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: Canada
Re: Pros and Cons of Second Hand Reptile Enclosures for Blue
The only thing I could think of is if the animal possibly had crypto and that's why the tank ended up at the dump?
Since crypto is the most notoriously difficult bug to kill and disinfect for, if you plan to use the tank, I would treat it as though it had crypto before coming to you. This website has some steps for disinfecting for crypto http://www.goldengategeckos.com/crypto.htm that I personally would follow. Because it's wood, there's always the chance somethings living in the particles, do I would clean it like it were a bacteria ridden cell lol. Hate to introduce something as incurable and detrimental as crypto into a group of lizards...
It's a really nice find (kinda looks like my enclosure!) but I would be very cautious.
Since crypto is the most notoriously difficult bug to kill and disinfect for, if you plan to use the tank, I would treat it as though it had crypto before coming to you. This website has some steps for disinfecting for crypto http://www.goldengategeckos.com/crypto.htm that I personally would follow. Because it's wood, there's always the chance somethings living in the particles, do I would clean it like it were a bacteria ridden cell lol. Hate to introduce something as incurable and detrimental as crypto into a group of lizards...
It's a really nice find (kinda looks like my enclosure!) but I would be very cautious.
0.0.1 Crested Gecko Timey Wimey
1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko Sammy
0.0.1 Northern Bluey Gideon
Current Projects
• "The Project" (Gideon)
• New custom environment (Timey)
Oliver has found a wonderful new home.
1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko Sammy
0.0.1 Northern Bluey Gideon
Current Projects
• "The Project" (Gideon)
• New custom environment (Timey)
Oliver has found a wonderful new home.
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: Pros and Cons of Second Hand Reptile Enclosures for Blue
Thanks, hadn't thought of Crypto. I know snake people (
) would have some concerns about snake specific diseases but I think it is more likely that the owner just lost interest. Will get some bleach onto it. Thanks for the responses.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 449 guests
