Page 1 of 1
Brumation question
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:43 am
by jdheff1982
Hello,
My NBTS finally came out of brumation, I think. He/she has been out and about for 2 days now. I have offered food and it has been refused. I figured it would ravenous from not eating for several weeks. Seems to be really alert and healthy. Even had some interaction time. Is it possible my skink is not fully done brumating?
Thanks!
Re: Brumation question
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:33 pm
by Jeff
It's very common for it to take them awhile to get their appetite back. It's nothing to worry about unless he starts to noticeably lose weight.
Re: Brumation question
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:10 pm
by jdheff1982
Ok, that's good to know. Thanks!
Re: Brumation question
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:18 pm
by jdheff1982
So, it has been a couple of weeks since his brumation cycle and his appetite is slowly coming back. He seems to just want a couple bites of food and moves on. Roughly how long does it take them to regain their full appetite? He's been quite active the last week or so; so, I figure his appetite would be in full force. Heck, I just fed him one blueberry. In the past, he would eat the entire thing. Today, he just squashed it with his mouth and left the remains and hid.
Me no understand this.
EDIT: Are corn snakes the same way? Mine went into brumation as well and his appetite has come back either. Just tried to feed him a thawed mouse and he came out to tongue it but wasn't interested.
Re: Brumation question
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:40 pm
by Katrina
If he's not losing weight, don't worry. He'll eat when he is hungry but not eating for weeks is totally normal, like Jeff said.
If he is a male he likely has other things on his mind, not dinner! Just monitor his weight every week or two and keep offering healthy meals. He'll eat when he's ready and if he isn't losing much weight there is no concern (usually a good rule of thumb is about 10% of their body weight is cause for concern).
Re: Brumation question
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:55 pm
by jdheff1982
I wish Rosco would give some sign what gender he truly is. I figured he'd start leaving sperm plugs by now; but, this is my first brumation with both BTS and corn snake and I really don't have know what to expect except for what I have read here.
Thanks!
Re: Brumation question
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:13 pm
by Katrina
No worries, I'm sure lots of other owners are wondering the same thing - it is a common question around this time of year! But they won't starve themselves - as long as they aren't sick or losing weight, just wait it out.
Re: Brumation question
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:40 pm
by Richard.C
Sounds like typical fresh from brumation behaviour to me,theu can be very picky until ambient temps have raised significantly and there hormones/testosterone levels settle
Re: Brumation question
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:14 pm
by jdheff1982
Well, I think I got my gender answer today. Found a creamy white mass floating around in the water dish. Definitely not the same consistency as a urate. So, I guess I have a male! He sure was intent on destroying his home today, too.
Re: Brumation question
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:07 pm
by Ophidiophile
jdheff1982 wrote: He sure was intent on destroying his home today, too.
My male Northerns go crazy tearing up the cage and wanting out when they are in breeding mode. Sounds like your male is seriously in need of a date.
Re: Brumation question
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:45 pm
by jdheff1982
Lol, yeah, he ain't the only one....

Re: Brumation question
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:40 pm
by dsteamn
Also, mine tend to want protein when they first start eating. After a couple of weeks, they start eating the other stuff. Raw hamburger, boiled chicken liver, baked chicken breast, and eggs either raw or cooked any way are all favorites.
Re: Brumation question
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:08 am
by jdheff1982
My guy has begun to calm down (I think). I think he reached his peak over the weekend. Had to refill his water dish several times do to his hyper-activity. Now, I think it's Mr. Snakes turn at breeding behavior. He just shed and still refuses to take a mouse. He'll act interested and approach but will back off and do other things. He shed the other night, too. This brumation cycle these guy go through is really wonky.
Wish I had mates for them; but I wouldn't know what to do with the off-spring. Corn snakes don't sell too well here (too many versus potential buyers) as well as BTS's (most likely lack of knowledge and paint jobs).