Scale Recommendations
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- saisaac
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 323
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:49 am
- Country: U.S.A.
- Location: Illinois
- Contact:
Scale Recommendations
Does anyone have a particular scale or brand of scales they recommend for weighing blueys? I'd really like to be able to track my blueys' weights throughout the year especially next winter during cooling. I have a gram scale from when I had Crested Geckos, but even using a tuperware to weight a bluey with it is fairly difficult.
Seth Isaacson
1.1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia (Chewy and Malla )
1.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Mel and Lanie) 1.0.0 "Morkie" (Nigel)
1.1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia (Chewy and Malla )
1.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Mel and Lanie) 1.0.0 "Morkie" (Nigel)
-
Dood
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 434
- Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:29 am
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
Re: Scale Recommendations
I use a digital kitchen scale that goes up to 20 lb that I picked up for $12 at Walmart. It can measure in pounds, ounces, kilograms and grams.
- saisaac
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 323
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:49 am
- Country: U.S.A.
- Location: Illinois
- Contact:
Re: Scale Recommendations
I might just go grab a new one from the store then. I know there are $50+ scales available at many reptile supply chains, but I wasn't looking to spend that money. What brand is yours? How is the battery life?
Seth Isaacson
1.1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia (Chewy and Malla )
1.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Mel and Lanie) 1.0.0 "Morkie" (Nigel)
1.1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia (Chewy and Malla )
1.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Mel and Lanie) 1.0.0 "Morkie" (Nigel)
-
Dood
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 434
- Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:29 am
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
Re: Scale Recommendations
I don't know the brand - it's unmarked - but model # 3858-49
I use it weekly and bought it in the fall of 2011 and it's still got the AAA battery it came with
I use it weekly and bought it in the fall of 2011 and it's still got the AAA battery it came with
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Scale Recommendations
I got a pretty nice scale at Staples. I think it was with a bunch of scales intended for weighing mail/parcels. I'm not home right now or I would post a picture.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- critterguy
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 702
- Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
- Country:
Re: Scale Recommendations
You want something that can go about to about 2000grams. Lots of inexpensive food scales out there-I know Walmart and Staples carry either diet or mail scales that would do just fine.
- saisaac
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 323
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:49 am
- Country: U.S.A.
- Location: Illinois
- Contact:
Re: Scale Recommendations
Thanks for the recommendations. Its bill week
so I will wait until my next pay check and go grab one. I just dropped about $200 on supplies for the two 6x2x2 enclosures I am building my northern duo, so I need to get the accounts caught up!
so I will wait until my next pay check and go grab one. I just dropped about $200 on supplies for the two 6x2x2 enclosures I am building my northern duo, so I need to get the accounts caught up!Seth Isaacson
1.1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia (Chewy and Malla )
1.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Mel and Lanie) 1.0.0 "Morkie" (Nigel)
1.1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia (Chewy and Malla )
1.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Mel and Lanie) 1.0.0 "Morkie" (Nigel)
- Sebastian
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 204
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: Canada
Re: Scale Recommendations
My suggestion is to get something electric. My very first scale was not and it was extremely finacky. Might not be so bad with a heavy animal like a skink, but it was impossible to use accurately with geckos. I also got mine from Walmart, I can't remember the brand but it's grey and a circle. It only does g and mg. I've have it for a year and haven't had to change the battery yet, so I'll recommend it on that front lol! I have noticed it can be inaccurate though, if I touch the table next to it, it will begin to go up and down.... I'm sure a slightly more expensive one would not do this. I think I spent $21 on it if i'm remembering accurately.
0.0.1 Crested Gecko Timey Wimey
1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko Sammy
0.0.1 Northern Bluey Gideon
Current Projects
• "The Project" (Gideon)
• New custom environment (Timey)
Oliver has found a wonderful new home.
1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko Sammy
0.0.1 Northern Bluey Gideon
Current Projects
• "The Project" (Gideon)
• New custom environment (Timey)
Oliver has found a wonderful new home.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 243 guests
