Mysterious Eye & Respiratory Issues
Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:59 pm
I've had Cahaya (2-3 year old 23.5 inch Merauke) since mid-September.
S/he's settled in pretty well, but about a month after coming home I noticed whistling/suspicious breathing when he seemed to very active or stressed, but no discharge or open mouth breathing/excessive sneezing. So I kept an eye on it.
About two weeks ago the wheezing began even at rest and lethargy began so I rushed Cahaya off to my exotics vet.
While we were there, the vet and I both notice that the right (if I was looking at Cahaya face to face) eye is swollen with clear fluid. Not the whole eye, not the tissue around it, but literally that there is fluid trapped between the pupil/iris and outer membrane of the eye.
Looking back at some old photos of him it was there when I rescued them, I guess I had missed it since it wasn't as progressed.
Cahaya was put on 3 days of anti-inflammatories and 2 weeks of daily baytril injections. The vet says it is possible that either there is A) a respiratory infection AND tear duct blockage occurring simultaneously or B) the respiratory infection is causing sinus etc swelling preventing drainage.
We finished the injections yesterday and there was improvement in the breathing and at least some (but not a lot) drainage in the swollen eye. This is good news because it most likely means that risky and expensive surgery to open/replace the blocked duct probably isn't needed. I was told to continue with another two weeks of baytril (orally this time) and then come back if Cahaya's breathing wasn't 100% yet and the eye was not completely normal.
Overall Cahaya's breathing is much better, but still has good/bad days (sometimes clicks and whistles but no more wheezes and lethargy, is quietly breathing at rest). The eye is still iffy but much better as well. S/he's due to shed (I find there's more whistling right before a shed which gets better after shedding).
If this round of medications doesn't make it better, s/he'll be going in for an x-ray and possible assessment for surgery.
I've thought about the possibility of an abscess...but it seems like there's no swelling minus the fluid in the eye.
If anyone's had any experiences or suggestions or thoughts it'd be much appreciated.
S/he's settled in pretty well, but about a month after coming home I noticed whistling/suspicious breathing when he seemed to very active or stressed, but no discharge or open mouth breathing/excessive sneezing. So I kept an eye on it.
About two weeks ago the wheezing began even at rest and lethargy began so I rushed Cahaya off to my exotics vet.
While we were there, the vet and I both notice that the right (if I was looking at Cahaya face to face) eye is swollen with clear fluid. Not the whole eye, not the tissue around it, but literally that there is fluid trapped between the pupil/iris and outer membrane of the eye.
Looking back at some old photos of him it was there when I rescued them, I guess I had missed it since it wasn't as progressed.
Cahaya was put on 3 days of anti-inflammatories and 2 weeks of daily baytril injections. The vet says it is possible that either there is A) a respiratory infection AND tear duct blockage occurring simultaneously or B) the respiratory infection is causing sinus etc swelling preventing drainage.
We finished the injections yesterday and there was improvement in the breathing and at least some (but not a lot) drainage in the swollen eye. This is good news because it most likely means that risky and expensive surgery to open/replace the blocked duct probably isn't needed. I was told to continue with another two weeks of baytril (orally this time) and then come back if Cahaya's breathing wasn't 100% yet and the eye was not completely normal.
Overall Cahaya's breathing is much better, but still has good/bad days (sometimes clicks and whistles but no more wheezes and lethargy, is quietly breathing at rest). The eye is still iffy but much better as well. S/he's due to shed (I find there's more whistling right before a shed which gets better after shedding).
If this round of medications doesn't make it better, s/he'll be going in for an x-ray and possible assessment for surgery.
I've thought about the possibility of an abscess...but it seems like there's no swelling minus the fluid in the eye.
If anyone's had any experiences or suggestions or thoughts it'd be much appreciated.