Need some help with gender...
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- DianaBlueTongue
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 656
- Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Rowland PA
Need some help with gender...
Hi everyone!!!
I was wondering if I could get everyones thoughts on the possible sex of this bluey? It's a meruke I'm actually going to pick up tonight, super excited! I don't care either way, was more curious, I'd hate to name it Sally and it end up being a boy. lol. Thanks!
I was wondering if I could get everyones thoughts on the possible sex of this bluey? It's a meruke I'm actually going to pick up tonight, super excited! I don't care either way, was more curious, I'd hate to name it Sally and it end up being a boy. lol. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Buddha
Buddha
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: Need some help with gender...
My guess on this animal would be male, but im not great at sexing Gigas. Hopefully someone thats a little better at this than me will chime in shortly. Great looking animal though 
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
- DianaBlueTongue
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 656
- Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Rowland PA
Re: Need some help with gender...
Ive had a bunch of people say female on another forum, but honestly I really have no clue how to do it by eye. lol.
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Buddha
Buddha
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Need some help with gender...
I would say that you have a male. I think I can see hemipenal bulges at the base of the tail.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Need some help with gender...
Does appear to have slight buldging,but its solid ,solid females can store a bit of fat in tail base giving impression of hemipenal buldging,im leaning towards female on this one,big fat neck rolls,girly body build and chubby tail base is a few femaley traits,especially to because its not at its full size potential just yet
Very nice healthy looking merauke
Very nice healthy looking merauke
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Need some help with gender...
It's a male Richard 
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Need some help with gender...
Solid male then,must like its tucker
Can we see the proof pics
Can we see the proof pics
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: Need some help with gender...
I'd call it Sally.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Need some help with gender...
Might be safe enough to call it sallyanne even
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Need some help with gender...
Sally??? It's clearly a Sue!
- Toria Dawn
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 449
- Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 1:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Need some help with gender...
Yeah I would say Sue! He'll grow up quick, and mean, and tough!
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - Royal Hendrix Mudson
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos - Bagel & Donut
0.0.2 Bearded Dragons - Jabba & Han
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos - Bagel & Donut
0.0.2 Bearded Dragons - Jabba & Han
- saisaac
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 323
- Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:49 am
- Country: U.S.A.
- Location: Illinois
- Contact:
Re: Need some help with gender...
I know it is not a surefire signal, but isn't the arrowhead shaped noggin a common signal for a female as well?
Either way. Bobbie (works for a boy or a girl)
is a great looking skink.
Either way. Bobbie (works for a boy or a girl)
Seth Isaacson
1.1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia (Chewy and Malla )
1.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Mel and Lanie) 1.0.0 "Morkie" (Nigel)
1.1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia (Chewy and Malla )
1.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Mel and Lanie) 1.0.0 "Morkie" (Nigel)
- DianaBlueTongue
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 656
- Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Rowland PA
Re: Need some help with gender...
lol, thanks for all the great name suggestions! He proved to be a big ole boy, I put him with a female to see how they reacted and sure enough, he was on her like white on rice! I posted about it with a pic in my other thread "New Meruke! SO HAPPY!!!"
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Buddha
Buddha
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Need some help with gender...
saisaac wrote:I know it is not a surefire signal, but isn't the arrowhead shaped noggin a common signal for a female as well?
No, head size or shape is very unreliable for sexing.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Need some help with gender...
DianaBlueTongue wrote:lol, thanks for all the great name suggestions! He proved to be a big ole boy, I put him with a female to see how they reacted and sure enough, he was on her like white on rice! I posted about it with a pic in my other thread "New Meruke! SO HAPPY!!!"
Now if you want to breed you know you need a male northern and female merauke
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 172 guests
