http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF0TLKViWEA#t=0
It's around 6:30
How Blue Tongues are farmed in Indonesia
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
- UroFreak13
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 475
- Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm
- Country:
- Location: Montreal,Canada
Re: How Blue Tongues are farmed in Indonesia
Very interesting, not as bad as I'd imagined it, I guess is the shipping part that's the most stressful
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: How Blue Tongues are farmed in Indonesia
They have Northerns! Did not expect that.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: How Blue Tongues are farmed in Indonesia
How do monitors bury there eggs with just a few tree branches and a water bowl on there concrete floor?
The facilities look ok but there holding facilities,half the snakes in tubs had no water or hides,alot there multiples in the tubs to, and presenter is an importer trying to portray imports they get arent kept like elsewhere,come buy from us
Looks typical farming,holding cages before export of wild collected animals and possably for holding gravid ones till they drop to
Nice find ML,its rare to even see that type of footage,tree monitor cage at start looked pretty cool,the rest just appeared to be holding cages for wild caughts,not a breeding facility
The facilities look ok but there holding facilities,half the snakes in tubs had no water or hides,alot there multiples in the tubs to, and presenter is an importer trying to portray imports they get arent kept like elsewhere,come buy from us
Looks typical farming,holding cages before export of wild collected animals and possably for holding gravid ones till they drop to
Nice find ML,its rare to even see that type of footage,tree monitor cage at start looked pretty cool,the rest just appeared to be holding cages for wild caughts,not a breeding facility
- mark_w
- Skinks in the UK

- Posts: 612
- Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:43 am
- Country:
- Location: Buxton, UK
Re: How Blue Tongues are farmed in Indonesia
Agree with Rich. A nice site with landscaped gardens and so on and a couple of really nice enclosures like the one for Varanus melinus, but mostly a holding facility for WC. As it is illegal to export for example blue tongues as WC from Indo, they have to look like they are breeding and shipping CB, but that doesn't really look to be the case...
Mark.
Mark.
scincoides - intermedia - nigrolutea - occipitalis
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: How Blue Tongues are farmed in Indonesia
Sounds bad, I know, but I'd prefer to know they are actually WC and not farmed. If they are bred at the farm, then there is absolutely no guarantee our WC species are even close to being pure. I suppose I see farms as a source for bloodlines, not a source for pets; I don't consider it their responsibility to breed. It is the responsibility of captive breeders to produce enough healthy, pet-ready animals that WCs are no longer really desired.
That said, the volume of the animals "farmed" is awful. There is way too much demand for these wild animals. I have no issues with WC, but I would personally love to see the price skyrocket so that WCs are no longer financially viable for most of the pet trade.
Anyways, that was a really interesting video
I have always wondered what the farms might look like. This one was quite nice 
That said, the volume of the animals "farmed" is awful. There is way too much demand for these wild animals. I have no issues with WC, but I would personally love to see the price skyrocket so that WCs are no longer financially viable for most of the pet trade.
Anyways, that was a really interesting video
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- mark_w
- Skinks in the UK

- Posts: 612
- Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:43 am
- Country:
- Location: Buxton, UK
Re: How Blue Tongues are farmed in Indonesia
Fatal_S wrote:Sounds bad, I know, but I'd prefer to know they are actually WC and not farmed. If they are bred at the farm, then there is absolutely no guarantee our WC species are even close to being pure. I suppose I see farms as a source for bloodlines, not a source for pets; I don't consider it their responsibility to breed. It is the responsibility of captive breeders to produce enough healthy, pet-ready animals that WCs are no longer really desired.
That said, the volume of the animals "farmed" is awful. There is way too much demand for these wild animals. I have no issues with WC, but I would personally love to see the price skyrocket so that WCs are no longer financially viable for most of the pet trade.
Anyways, that was a really interesting videoI have always wondered what the farms might look like. This one was quite nice
I agree with you too Fatal! I worry about mixing locales and so on that seems to part and parcel of the way many/some of the Asian breeders approach things. Lets breed this with that and see what the babies look like. It would great if we could only get pure locale specific animals but they were as lot more expensive than they are now. That would focus efforts on captive breeding. Doesn't bear much resemblance to reality though.
Mark.
scincoides - intermedia - nigrolutea - occipitalis
-
Bluish
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 370
- Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
- Country:
- Location: Toronto, Canada
Re: How Blue Tongues are farmed in Indonesia
The video is a sales pitch for the exporter and they are just showing us the public relations face so everything has to look good.
Most of the skinks i see in Ontario are wild caught adults. The importers i know often have females drop babies so certainly not a good business plan for a "farm" to be selling your gravid females.
These places aren't going to feed, clean, and manage skinks all year when the locals will bring them gravid females for a few $ a piece.
Most of the skinks i see in Ontario are wild caught adults. The importers i know often have females drop babies so certainly not a good business plan for a "farm" to be selling your gravid females.
These places aren't going to feed, clean, and manage skinks all year when the locals will bring them gravid females for a few $ a piece.
Dom
2.6 Meraukes
2.6 Meraukes
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 182 guests
