Swollen Lower Jaw or am I paranoid?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
jclaiborne
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Swollen Lower Jaw or am I paranoid?

Postby jclaiborne » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:29 pm

Hey Everyone,

I was changing out the water in Clyde's cage after work today and I noticed what looked like a little bulge on the side of his lower jaw, I pulled him out and snapped a few pics to post up, he doesn't pull away when I touch it, his mood is the same, we opened up his mouth and it all looks pink (I don't see any yellow, oozing, or black) but I wanted to get some opinions on here. Should I take him to vet to get checked out or am I just paranoid? Thanks!

1.0.1 IJs (Bonnie and Clyde)
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Re: Swollen Lower Jaw or am I paranoid?

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:19 pm

It does appear to be swollen - possibly the start of an abscess? I had a skink with an abscess a few years back - the vet lanced it, drained it, and then we used antibiotics. Cleared up very nicely.

Obviously though, it could be something else. I've only dealt with one abscess, so I'm not much help. It would be a vet-visit thing for me. Best of luck with him :)
jclaiborne
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby jclaiborne » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:51 am

Fatal_S wrote:It does appear to be swollen - possibly the start of an abscess? I had a skink with an abscess a few years back - the vet lanced it, drained it, and then we used antibiotics. Cleared up very nicely.

Obviously though, it could be something else. I've only dealt with one abscess, so I'm not much help. It would be a vet-visit thing for me. Best of luck with him :)

Thanks! I am looking up reviews of reptile vets in my area, trying to find a good one...I would rather catch it early and treat it vs wait for it to get worse.
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:03 pm

That's good thinking; that jaw is definitely swollen. Let us know what you find out.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:09 pm

It does look like the start of an abscess. It needs to be vet checked if so, as it can lead to gum and tooth root problems.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
jclaiborne
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby jclaiborne » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:37 am

I contacted LLL and asked them if they knew of a local repitle vet they trusted and they put me in contact with a vet they use, I called on Friday and he was out of the office and they told me I could call back this week and they could get me in. I am going to make an appt for him to get checked out. I will post updates after he is seen. Thanks everyone.
jclaiborne
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby jclaiborne » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:30 pm

So we just got back from the vet and he said that, it looks like the lower swollen part could be some scar tissue, but there is also a slight infection( he said inside his mouth is just slightly pinker on that side then rest of his mouth). He said that the infection likely came along when he had mites because mites can weaken the immune system and if there was trauma to his jaw at some point in his life then it can get infected easier. He put him on 0.2cc of baytril every other day for 1 month, with a followup in 3 weeks.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”