silvadine for eyes!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Bethany SG
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

silvadine for eyes!

Postby Bethany SG » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:23 pm

Hello all Im Wileys Mom and have the "tiliqua" issue of eyes and digits crusting - Ive observed it gets worse in the winter. Wiley has been switched to a butcher paper substrate because any bedding inflames her eyes more - as does direct summer sunlight and MVB. We have found that applying silvadine cream to her eyes as needed really helps reduce the inflammation and keep it under control, but alas there is not yet a cause nor cure found. This might also be odd sounding, but Wiley really benefits from gentle stimulation ie she stays on the couch with me for a few hours a day and the contact of love, a couch- with sometimes a blanket to explore and a piece of food treat is enough to make a big difference.
Scincoides

Re: silvadine for eyes!

Postby Scincoides » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:29 pm

That sounds like the mystery illness that has plagued quite a few Indo species. Hopefully Susann will chime in shortly, she had a few skinks with this condition, even lost one. She has a method that has worked very well at clearing up the symptoms. I now own a few of her animals that had it bad, and are now in great shape.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Susann » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:11 am

I have never used silvadine, so I can't speak to that;
but here are links to some of the major posts I made while Joey was still alive:

Sick little guy? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16019

We still keep fighting viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16564

Could it be MOLD? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17144

Update about Olivia viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18429 by Helpful_Herper

Joey update viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18593

Joey's husbandry viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18761

The vet who has been treating my skinks is:
Martin G. Orr
Creekside Animal Hospital
12720 Pony Express Rd,
Draper, UT 84020
801-565-1263
Emergency 24-hour assistance: Emergencies on site 24/7 --same phone number

In short, installing a MistKing humidifier and giving the shot combination of VitaminA, calcium w/D3, and antibiotic is as close to a "cure" as I've gotten with my sick skinks, including the ones Valley Reptiles has.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
tiliqua
Blotched Bushman
Blotched Bushman

Postby tiliqua » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:58 am

I've never heard of "Silvadine". Do you mean 'Silvazine'?
If so, it's now sold as 'Flamazine' here, and is not meant to be used in the eyes. There are specific eye ointments needed for eyes.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”