Had one of those weird ideas you come up with in the shower today: has research been done on how diet affects a Tiliqua's color, or intensity of color?
I had the idea from how certain foods eaten long-term can cause human skin color changes (carrots => skin yellowing). Any of you lovely lot and your skinker squads have observations or tales on the subject?
Diet's effects on coloration
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- maximumbuttitude
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 14
- Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: Pennsylvania, USA
- Contact:
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Diet's effects on coloration
I don't think there have been formal studies done on it, but it is definitely observable that good diet/husbandry will produce better colored skinks. I noticed that my indo is much brighter and glossier when the humidity is higher. I haven't personally seen how diet can change the color, but skinks that come from bad situations usually color up immensely after good diet/husbandry.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Diet's effects on coloration
I think when you feed too many veggies to a growing baby gigas, it will give it raised/thick scales (kindly like a shingleback) making the "shine" vanish, creating a duller color by appearance.. when their face/body should be completely smooth and shiny.
From what I noticed. And also, not only diet.. but good care.
From what I noticed. And also, not only diet.. but good care.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Lauriek
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1918
- Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:51 am
- Country:
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Diet's effects on coloration
It takes an awful lot of carrots to change skin colour noticeably. An awful lot. Don't think I could eat that many
Many lizards are able to change colour - chameleons, for example. Some can change colour when breeding. I suspect skink patterns and colour is more related to genetics than diet.
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)
Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 194 guests
