Page 1 of 1

SKINK SMELLS!

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:48 am
by skinkerdoodle
When I first got my skink, he did not stink at all. Recently, his skin has started to have a slight, unpleasant odor. His cage does not stink, just his skin. He didn't start stinking until I started giving him regular baths. I stopped but he still stinks. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Re: SKINK SMELLS!

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:56 am
by hurricanejen
How long were you giving him the baths, and how long has it been since you stopped? It may just take longer for the effects of whatever you were doing to wear off.

What's the smell like? Funky, musty, reptile-y...? What were you washing him in?

Re: SKINK SMELLS!

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:33 am
by skinkerdoodle
He smells funky!

Re: SKINK SMELLS!

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:35 am
by skinkerdoodle
Oops! I hit submit too soon. I bathed him for about 3 weeks and only in water. He smells kind of like sweaty feet. Yuck.

Re: SKINK SMELLS!

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:36 am
by hurricanejen
What kind of bedding are you using? Oh - and what kind of skink is it?

Re: SKINK SMELLS!

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:33 pm
by Linnea
how often did you bathe him before?
are you certain he doesnt smell like mold or anything the like?
when did he last poop?
has he walked through poop?
is he shedding?
does he have any visible redness or odd rash like things on his legs, tummy or toes?

can you post a fresh, new photo, please? it will help greatly to determine the cause of the smell.

how hot was the water you used?

Re: SKINK SMELLS!

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:59 pm
by skinkerdoodle
No, he is not smelling like mold. I bathed him for three weeks, sometimes twice a day. And he was shedding during the time I was bathing him. I used warm water. He doesn't have any visible redness or rashes and he seems to be pooping on a regular basis. I'm not sure how to post a picture yet.

I use aspen shavings for bedding and we are not sure what kind of skink it is other than a Blue Tongued Skink.

Re: SKINK SMELLS!

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:02 pm
by Lea
A sweaty feet smell ... If you mean cheesyish, hmm, could be fungal. Is it strong or just a subtle scent. Hard to say it's anything unless you have other symptoms :noknow:

Re: SKINK SMELLS!

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:26 pm
by Dood
Ummmm was there a reason why you bathed him once or twice a day, every day for 3 weeks?

Re: SKINK SMELLS!

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:33 pm
by Dakota
They aren't aquatic.............. you should rarely bathe them.

Re: SKINK SMELLS!

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:34 pm
by Dakota
I'm thinking it is like ferrets. The more you bathe, the less the oil has to take effect and mask the smell.. making them smell terrible. :noknow:

Re: SKINK SMELLS!

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:07 pm
by Linnea
id not be too quick to rule out fungal issues when the skink has been bather that frequetly for so long (i wrote mold, sorry....). as lea mentioned, fungal things smell, and skinks do not. Its good there is no redness or rash or the like though.

Skinkerdoodle, i know you meant well and wanted to help with the shed, but there has been a mistake with how a bath can help with the shed, i think.
- If the skink has the proper humidity in the terrarium, the shed will come off within 3 days of work. They do this entirely themselves, and they seem to put their entire heart into the shedding process, so disturbing them when not neccessary can be a bit stressful.
- If, however, there is stuck shed on toes and tailtip, or the shed has been really bad, a lukewarm, shallow bath can be given. This is since toes and tailtip are sensitive to constriction after many leftover sheds. The other parts of the shed that are not in sensitive areas just look a little rough to us humans, but theyre not dangerous to leave on until next shed, but id look over the humidity.

as dakota mentions, skinks do not live in water normally, and just as you yourself cannot shower that often without getting skin problems (dry skin --> infection sensitivity), your skink cannot cope with it very well in excessive amounts either. Just bear it in mind for the future. the water we provide them with is after all not so abundant in parts of Aus :)
I am not so knowledgeable about the underlayign "oil" the skink skin produces, so ill be quiet about it. but im not sure it smells.....it sounds a bit odd to me that it would.

when you post, click upload attackment and select the photo, or paste an img link via photobucket or the like :) by determining the species we can help you a little more.

edit: a helpful observation, does the skink try to scratch itself with its feet or against surfaces despite not being in shed? i mean more than the regular wrecking the cage :)

Re: SKINK SMELLS!

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:03 pm
by Susann
How are his feet looking? Any problems with feet or toes?
The only time I've noticed a smell coming from the skink itself it's always been when they've had foot and toe-issues.

Re: SKINK SMELLS!

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:15 pm
by skinkerdinker
Just to let everybody on Bluetongueskinks.net know, I used to be skinkerdoodle! I think I was just giving my skink to many baths! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!