Page 1 of 2

My first BTS!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:29 am
by Teacup
New to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. :)

Saturday, I brought home a CB, 2 month old, unsexed, Merauke blue tongue. My husband and I have decided to use female pronouns so I'll be referring to her as a girl (no name yet). I bought her at Repticon Atlanta. I swore I wasn't going to bring anything home but my bearded dragon (who was my first reptile) died last month and I needed a heart healer. Actually, we lost 3 elderly pets in a row within the space of a year so this house needed a cute little face to brighten things up!

I've wanted a BTS for a long time. In fact, I almost bought one before but saw my beardie in a store and fell in love. She actually ended up being super crazy/inbred and a LOT of work so I probably would have been better off with a BTS from the start!

I only have one pic, right now, as we're letting her get acclimated.

Image

She's in a 10 gallon on paper towels, with a good sized hide and water bowl. Basking spot is 90-91F. She ate some diced melon and dog food yesterday, and I spent last night preparing a mix of boiled chicken livers, hearts, and gizzards with turnip greens. Finally getting good use out of my food processor! I'm hoping she continues to eat well and I can start handling her once she has settled. She was very docile at the show but also bright and active. So happy to have her!

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:53 am
by Dakota
Aww, love seeing baby Meraukes. :3

Welcome the forum! :)

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:28 am
by Teacup
Dakota wrote:Aww, love seeing baby Meraukes. :3

Welcome the forum! :)


Thanks! :)

She didn't eat as much today. I might have put too many greens in her mush so I'll add some dog food and maybe a blueberry tomorrow. Also wanted to clarify that the 10 gallon is temporary; she's very small, right now. I have a 75 on standby. Can't wait until I can start handling her! She is so adorable.

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:36 am
by Susann
Such an adorable face!
Welcome, and congratulations on what I bet will be one of the best reptile purchases of your life. :D
...but then I'm a little partial to cute Merauke faces... :wink:

If she seems active and "inquisitive", I don't see a need to restrain yourself from getting her out and handling her. I would just advice against digging her out if she's hiding.
I might suggest a basking spot that is a little bit hotter (closer to 100F), if you can, I know it's hard with a 10 gallon tank to supply such a big heat gradient; maybe get one of those metal lids for the tank ( to ensure she can't get out) and then raise a platform up closer to the heat source.

Have lots of fun, and don't hesitate to ask questions here if you have any. :)

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:00 pm
by Teacup
Susann wrote:Such an adorable face!
Welcome, and congratulations on what I bet will be one of the best reptile purchases of your life. :D
...but then I'm a little partial to cute Merauke faces... :wink:

If she seems active and "inquisitive", I don't see a need to restrain yourself from getting her out and handling her. I would just advice against digging her out if she's hiding.
I might suggest a basking spot that is a little bit hotter (closer to 100F), if you can, I know it's hard with a 10 gallon tank to supply such a big heat gradient; maybe get one of those metal lids for the tank ( to ensure she can't get out) and then raise a platform up closer to the heat source.

Have lots of fun, and don't hesitate to ask questions here if you have any. :)


Thanks for the tips, Susann! :) The digital thermometer I am using is a little old so your comment made me get out my temp-gun. Her basking area is between 97-99F, and the cool side is 76-77, so hopefully that is okay.

She has been hiding since we brought her home, although I am pleased she is eating. If she hasn't started exploring by Wed, I might take her out briefly to check on her (make sure she's hydrated, etc).

There were a lot of gorgeous BTS at the expo! As soon as I held a year old female (very chubby; I think an IJ), I knew I wasn't leaving the show without one. There were a handful of sexed adults available and just a few babies. I had so much fun watching my beardie grow up that I couldn't resist bringing home a wee one. She was the most active and bright-eyed of those I looked at, and the seller's other critters were all in great shape. I almost left with a uro, too, but managed to reign myself in!

I've been reading this forum since Sat night and it's an awesome resource! Glad to be here.

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:08 pm
by Dakota
Your temperatures are GREAT. :)

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:23 pm
by Susann
Yup, those temps are perfect :thumbs: which is not easy to do in a 10G tank.
I don't think you'll regret picking the Merauke baby, but beware: people usually start with one, but most of us quickly end up with at least one more :)
Merauke breeding season is off to a good start, and come spring/summer you'll hopefully have lots of CBB babies to choose from. :wink:

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:29 pm
by Dakota
Yes, I agree.. Meraukes have this sort of.. what do you call it? Hmm..

DRUG.. and they force you to take the drug, and it will forever hook you to the wonderful species, and will lead you to buy more, more, more, more, and MORE.

I bought a pair back in February, and now fixing to have 5 or 6.. (I have 2 pairs right now; 4)

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:56 pm
by Teacup
Susann wrote:Yup, those temps are perfect :thumbs: which is not easy to do in a 10G tank.
I don't think you'll regret picking the Merauke baby, but beware: people usually start with one, but most of us quickly end up with at least one more :)
Merauke breeding season is off to a good start, and come spring/summer you'll hopefully have lots of CBB babies to choose from. :wink:


Great! We have a hognose who was only just upgraded from a 10 gallon so we have some experience fussing with temps!

I have to admit, I can see myself getting another blue tongue in the future already. They're just so cute! :) I have to be careful, though, since my husband is a biologist and huge reptile enthusiast, and I often have to remind him that we don't have ALL the space in the world. :lol:

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:57 pm
by Teacup
Dakota wrote:Yes, I agree.. Meraukes have this sort of.. what do you call it? Hmm..

DRUG.. and they force you to take the drug, and it will forever hook you to the wonderful species, and will lead you to buy more, more, more, more, and MORE.

I bought a pair back in February, and now fixing to have 5 or 6.. (I have 2 pairs right now; 4)


:lol: Good to know!

I have seen your crew while browsing the forum, Dakota, and they are some good looking skinks. :)

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:03 pm
by Dakota
Why thank you. :innocent:

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
by donkeybuff
Are you planning to keep her on paper towels or are you going to give her loose substrate? They don't require substrate to burrow in, but they will definitely burrow if given the chance to.

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:23 pm
by Teacup
donkeybuff wrote:Are you planning to keep her on paper towels or are you going to give her loose substrate? They don't require substrate to burrow in, but they will definitely burrow if given the chance to.


I'll be moving her to aspen once she is bigger and well established. My husband is already talking about making as 'natural' an environment as possible for her once she moves into a full size tank.

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:46 pm
by donkeybuff
Great! Now all you have to do is post :ryo:

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:14 pm
by Teacup
donkeybuff wrote:Great! Now all you have to do is post :ryo:


We are taking her out tonight so I will see if the husbeast will take some pics for me. :)

Pleased to report that she ate almost everything in her bowl today! Not a scrap of blueberry left, and she left just a small amount of the green/chicken mush. I'll keep offering food daily until she is a bit bigger then I might move her over to once every other day. We shall see!

I have not been this excited about a new addition in a long time. I feel like a little kid, honestly!

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:30 pm
by Teacup
Okay, only got two decent pics since the husbeast wanted time with the little one, too. :) She was fine with being picked up and wandered all over us. So cute!

Image

Image

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:27 pm
by donkeybuff
Gorgeous patterning! Expect Dakota to be jealous.

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 pm
by Toria Dawn
Soooooo cuuuuuuuuuute!!!!! :lovestruck:

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:15 am
by Dakota
:cloud9: He such a little chubster and a cutie. :) I like how reduced his nape stripe is. :D

Re: My first BTS!

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:08 am
by juliec1
ohhh how i remember my little one being that little. Next season i have to get a baby... or maybe sooner