Page 1 of 1

Questions

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:20 pm
by UroFreak13
Ok so ive noticed my girl seems to be more active later in the afternoon- when the timer shuts off which is about 8. Should i move her 12 hours later in the day like 10-10 type thying?

Is frozen food that ive mixed ten frozen to preserve laking nutrients if it is the staple diet?

Ive noticed her nails are very sharp, any tricks to file them down? Like sandpaper maybe?
Thanks for the advice guys, keep rockin!

Re: Questions

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:25 pm
by donkeybuff
Freezing food breaks down vitamin B1, or thiamin. Make sure you are supplementing if you feed frozen. Adding rough things like rocks or driftwood in the enclosure will naturally file down his nails.

Re: Questions

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:58 pm
by UroFreak13
Cool thanks, suppliment with a vit powder or calcium or both?

Re: Questions

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:22 pm
by donkeybuff
I would be using calcium+D3 powder and vitamin powder.

Re: Questions

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:55 pm
by Dood
I sprinkle with Calcium & D3 and Vitamin powder on alternate days and not in the same meal.

I use the scissor kind of dog nail trimmers to cut my BTS nails. If your skink will let you, you could try using an emory board used for people nails as this will be a finer grind and less likely to remove skin if you miss.

Re: Questions

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:49 pm
by UroFreak13
What you guys thing about the lighting?

Re: Questions

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:29 pm
by Richard.C
Changing light cycle may just make her active later with the adjustment

Some are late risers,some arent,i try and stick to whats going on outside

Re: Questions

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:45 pm
by dsteamn
Six of mine are on regular day/night schedules. I have two, however, that don't wake up before noon or 1 PM. They are both rescues with disabilities. One is blind, so that may have something to do with it, but they don't even think about showing their heads before early afternoon. I am often up late at night and have seen them many times at midnight frolicking around their tank. They both prefer to eat at night too - sometimes 9 - 10 PM. I have adjusted their light schedule to accommodate them. The only adjustment I do with my others is to shorten their day to match the sun in the winter. I guess they all have their own quirky behavior. Some brumate, others don't. One stays awake most of the winter but stops eating, which really bothers me because he expends energy he's not taking in.