Best species for a beginner?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
AquaaAllure
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:52 pm
- Country:
- Location: New Jersey, US
Best species for a beginner?
Hi! I've been leaning towards getting a BTS for a few months now but not quite yet. I've been reading and reading on how to take care of them and the different species there are. However, before I get my new love I want to know which is the best blue tongue for a beginner behavior wise. For example the Tanimbar has a reputation for being a bit aggressive. So I was wondering who was your best skink? The Northern? The Irian Jaya? Or the Eastern (if possible to get)?
Yesterday was history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Best species for a beginner?
Between Northern, Irian Jaya, or Merauke.
The Halmahera locale Indonesians and classic Indonesians are a lot more huffy from what I seen and experienced. Tanimbars are really defensive. Kei Islands are probably between the Merauke and Tanimbars, temperamental wise.. I do not own Kei's, just from what I heard.
The Halmahera locale Indonesians and classic Indonesians are a lot more huffy from what I seen and experienced. Tanimbars are really defensive. Kei Islands are probably between the Merauke and Tanimbars, temperamental wise.. I do not own Kei's, just from what I heard.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Best species for a beginner?
I would recommend a Northern, or an Eastern if you want one and are willing to pay more. IJs and Meraukes are great, but the majority of them tend to be wild caught, making the Northerns and Easterns a better choice for a beginner.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- jdheff1982
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 439
- Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am
- Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington
- Country: USA
- Location: Derby,KS
Re: Best species for a beginner?
AquaaAllure wrote:Hi! I've been leaning towards getting a BTS for a few months now but not quite yet. I've been reading and reading on how to take care of them and the different species there are. However, before I get my new love I want to know which is the best blue tongue for a beginner behavior wise. For example the Tanimbar has a reputation for being a bit aggressive. So I was wondering who was your best skink? The Northern? The Irian Jaya? Or the Eastern (if possible to get)?
From what I understand, Northerns have the tamest temperment. I feel the real kicker in finding a docile BTS is finding one which has been captive bred. CB's tend to be more docile towards humans than their wild counterparts.
My BTS is a Northern and I have had him since Oct 1. He has only been aggressive towards me once and gave me a warning bite. Other than that, he is pretty laid back and enjoys exploring outside his enclosure. Just keep in mind for when you get your BTS, it may naturally be defensive until he/she settles into their new home.
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Best species for a beginner?
Northerns, Easeterns, IJ's, and Meraukes tend to have the best temperments. Northerns and Easterns are always captive bred. IJ's and Meraukes are primarily wild-caught but they are still bred in small numbers. Easterns from ray are about $150+shipping so that's average price for a skink. Other than that, it is just what skink looks better to you.
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Best species for a beginner?
Normal Easterns are $350+shipping.
Last edited by Dakota on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: Best species for a beginner?
I would go for a Northern if I were you. There more other people on this site that you will be able to compare notes with and actually have some knowledge and experience of, rather than speculation if you wish to take your keeping to another level as well such as breeding.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Best species for a beginner?
..and those are prices from 2010..
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
-
AquaaAllure
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:52 pm
- Country:
- Location: New Jersey, US
Re: Best species for a beginner?
I wouldn't mind a breeders name and website too for the future. I see eastern and northerns are the debate.
Yesterday was history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Best species for a beginner?
I think it comes down to personal preference between Easterns and Northerns. There is a list of good breeders in the classifieds section of the forum.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Best species for a beginner?
AquaaAllure wrote:I wouldn't mind a breeders name and website too for the future. I see eastern and northerns are the debate.
Northerns:
btskinks.com
seikereptiles.com
bluetongueskinks.net
thunderbayherps.com
Easterns:
btskinks.com
seikereptiles.com
thunderbayherps.com
The colors and pattern of the two are pretty similar. The primary difference is that Northerns tend to be a little larger.
- jdheff1982
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 439
- Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 am
- Your Facebook name: John D. Heffington
- Country: USA
- Location: Derby,KS
Re: Best species for a beginner?
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:AquaaAllure wrote:I wouldn't mind a breeders name and website too for the future. I see eastern and northerns are the debate.
Northerns:
btskinks.com
seikereptiles.com
bluetongueskinks.net
thunderbayherps.com
CaptiveBred.com
Easterns:
btskinks.com
seikereptiles.com
thunderbayherps.com
The colors and pattern of the two are pretty similar. The primary difference is that Northerns tend to be a little larger.
Added the breeder I bought mine from to your list. Good prices and good people.
Northern BTS Rosco born 6/27/2013 acquired 10/1/2013 -> My Gallery:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7iQnlFQvJfMTDFxLVUwaEN5Z0E?usp=sharing
---------------------------------
Care Sheet: http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/
- Scincoides
- Moderator

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona
Re: Best species for a beginner?
I just bought five easterns. I can assure you that they are 350 each. They do make wonderful pets though. Northerns are cheaper and are great pets as well. All the indo species tame down with time and are also great choices, but being that they are mainly wild caught, it will take a while to earn the animals trust.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii
http://www.scincoides.com
-
Dood
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 434
- Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:29 am
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
Re: Best species for a beginner?
I would go with any captive bred that is handled regularly.
I have a hybrid - Northern x ? (But I think the father was an IJ) that was from a small breeder who only had the two adult skinks. It was obvious that they were handled regularly and use to people, pets and typical household noises as my skink had no issues transitioning to my home. He didn't go through a hiding, huffing, hissing or non eating phase and I started interacting with him right away.
I have a hybrid - Northern x ? (But I think the father was an IJ) that was from a small breeder who only had the two adult skinks. It was obvious that they were handled regularly and use to people, pets and typical household noises as my skink had no issues transitioning to my home. He didn't go through a hiding, huffing, hissing or non eating phase and I started interacting with him right away.
-
AquaaAllure
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:52 pm
- Country:
- Location: New Jersey, US
Re: Best species for a beginner?
Thank you so much everyone! My goodness. I love this forum. Once I get my bluey and if I have questions everyone will answer quickly and with great answers (:
Yesterday was history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.
- Kurt
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southern Oregon
Re: Best species for a beginner?
I would say Merauke.
My Merauke is very active and not shy/timid. It took a few months and a lot of handling but he is amazing now.
My Northern is pretty lazy and still pretty shy. He's definitely awesome, but he hides so much more than my Merauke.
But the caveat with getting a Merauke is that they are wild caught so it may have health issues. I've been lucky enough to have a perfectly healthy Merauke but not everyone has such luck.
Honestly I think all the BTS subspecies are great and you can't really make a bad decision on which one to get.
My Merauke is very active and not shy/timid. It took a few months and a lot of handling but he is amazing now.
My Northern is pretty lazy and still pretty shy. He's definitely awesome, but he hides so much more than my Merauke.
But the caveat with getting a Merauke is that they are wild caught so it may have health issues. I've been lucky enough to have a perfectly healthy Merauke but not everyone has such luck.
Honestly I think all the BTS subspecies are great and you can't really make a bad decision on which one to get.
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
-
AquaaAllure
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:52 pm
- Country:
- Location: New Jersey, US
Re: Best species for a beginner?
I think I'm going with Eastern 

Yesterday was history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Best species for a beginner?
Valley are hypo easterns more pricey than normals though?
I think easterns are friendlier than northerns over all but you cant do bad with either,om saying that as a few of my northerns will happily bite me if my hands in cage and im not paying attention,never had an eastern do that
But really they are both great begginners animals,not just in temprement but also over all hardiness,there more bullet proof than the indos,more adaptable to varying conditions,meaning alot more adaptable to human error
Thats more important than temprement in my eyes when starting out
I think easterns are friendlier than northerns over all but you cant do bad with either,om saying that as a few of my northerns will happily bite me if my hands in cage and im not paying attention,never had an eastern do that
But really they are both great begginners animals,not just in temprement but also over all hardiness,there more bullet proof than the indos,more adaptable to varying conditions,meaning alot more adaptable to human error
Thats more important than temprement in my eyes when starting out
-
AquaaAllure
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:52 pm
- Country:
- Location: New Jersey, US
Re: Best species for a beginner?
Richard.C wrote:Valley are hypo easterns more pricey than normals though?
I think easterns are friendlier than northerns over all but you cant do bad with either,om saying that as a few of my northerns will happily bite me if my hands in cage and im not paying attention,never had an eastern do that
But really they are both great begginners animals,not just in temprement but also over all hardiness,there more bullet proof than the indos,more adaptable to varying conditions,meaning alot more adaptable to human error
Thats more important than temprement in my eyes when starting out
It is important! And you just helped tons more.
Yesterday was history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 163 guests
