Page 1 of 1
Another burmation question
Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:10 pm
by TJreptiles
Hello I just got my first bts a beautiful baby northern named Thor (born in June). I've been seeing all these burmation questions and was wondering is burmation a must? I have quite a few other reptiles and have never had them go into burmation. Do I have to? Any and all answers will be greatly thanked.

Re: Another burmation question
Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:13 pm
by Dakota
Nope, it is not mandatory.. but some will do it regardless if there is change from you or not.
Re: Another burmation question
Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:17 pm
by Scincoides
Welcome. No you can absolutely keep your skink awake during the winter. If you dont plan on trying to breed the animal in spring, then dont worry about it. The animal may choose to brumate anyways though so dont be alarmed if it starts to slow down on its own.
Re: Another burmation question
Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:28 pm
by TJreptiles
Re: Another burmation question
Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:31 pm
by Dakota
..no..

Re: Another burmation question
Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:33 pm
by TJreptiles
If I might ask what is?
Re: Another burmation question
Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:36 pm
by Susann
Since he is a baby, I would suggest doing everything you can to keep him from going into brumation. You can't always keep it from happening, but it's really not recommended that you intentionally slow a baby down for the winter during its first year.
Re: Another burmation question
Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:45 pm
by donkeybuff
Babies do slow down in nature, but many don't make it. If he does brumate, it's okay, but it's usually safer for most keepers (especially beginners) to not brumate, or at least not attempt to.
Re: Another burmation question
Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:48 pm
by TJreptiles
Thanks so much!
Re: Another burmation question
Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:33 am
by Coomassie
Just as a warning, I got Coomassie, also a northern, around the same age and there was no stopping him from burmating.
Re: Another burmation question
Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:38 am
by Richard.C
My juvie northerns brumate there first winter,i dont try to,the natural cooling of room they are in makes them shut down,they all come through it fine so i just let them do it
Re: Another burmation question
Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:45 am
by TJreptiles
The whole room stays around a constant 80 with his hot spot about 95-100. I don't know if your babies have already started but since I've had him his eating has increased a bit. Don't know if that shows going into burmation, not going into burmation, he didn't get fed as much from the place I got him?
Re: Another burmation question
Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:37 am
by Richard.C
Brumation
If your room ambient stays that warm and at those basking temps it shouldnt go into brumation,mine are active now as its just getting to middle of spring and ambients have risen
Re: Another burmation question
Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:40 am
by TJreptiles
Thanks