Page 1 of 1

Quick greens question

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:49 pm
by megan91
So I have had my bluey for a little over 2 weeks now. I love feeding him and varying all the greens/veggies that I mix in with his dog food.
My problem is so far the greens I have bought for him (collard, dandelion, endive) I cannot stand, and they come in such big bunches most of it gets wasted. I am currently growing mustard/collard/and endive but the plants are still young.
My question is...there are a few greens in the grocery stores that are not on this list (swiss chard for example). I have been checking out iguana charts and I see swiss chard "Very high in oxalates and should only be fed occasionally. Should be finely chopped. Ca:P 1.8:1, Pro: 0.2%, Fat: 0.1% " (quoted from http://www.greenigsociety.org/foodchart.htm)
I dont really know what my question is....can I feed my bts veggies/greens based on an iguana's recommendation of staple/occasional greens? because based on that website above there is many similarities, however the iguana website has a few more food items and a little more in depth than the chart I was looking at on bluetongueskinks.net

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the confusion

Re: Quick greens question

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:16 pm
by donkeybuff
Yes, everything that is safe for iguanas is safe for BTS. The staples look good except mango and papaya, but I'm not sure about alfalfa or any of the roots.

Re: Quick greens question

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:12 pm
by megan91
Alfalfa sprouts (which is what I have seen in the grocery store) are 0.5:1
Alfalfa leaves i have found varying numbers ranging from 3:1 to 5:1, but I have not seen these.
The roots I have never eaten(and dont have a hankerin to try either lol) and I eat lots of different veggies/squashes, I just want/need to find different leafy greens. I really like spinach but that isnt a very good choice for a bts
And I only use fruits for treats/outside enclosure interaction time, definitely not a staple

Re: Quick greens question

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:35 am
by Dood
Have you considered getting a hibiscus plant or two :) The leaves are 5.8:1 and a staple for iguanas the flowers are edible too