Kohlrabi

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Toria Dawn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 1:25 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Kohlrabi

Postby Toria Dawn » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:10 pm

I got a bunch of kohlrabi and I was wondering if anyone knew if I could feed this to my skink? I don't even know what this vegetable is, lol, I work at a farmers market and a vendor gave it to me for free…
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - Royal Hendrix Mudson
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos - Bagel & Donut
0.0.2 Bearded Dragons - Jabba & Han
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Kohlrabi

Postby Susann » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Kohlrabi (German turnip) (Brassica oleracea Gongylodes group) is in the cabbage family, and as you can see it's in the Brassica group, which means it would be high in goitrogens, so where I'm sure it's safe to feed, I would only do so in moderation, occasionally.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Kohlrabi

Postby Bird_Brain » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:43 pm

I wouldn't be wasting it on the skink! Lol. I love kohlrabi!
Brad
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Kohlrabi

Postby Lea » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:54 pm

Kohlrabi has a poor calcium to phosphorus ratio, about 1:2, so would definitely need to be offset with a calcium supplement. It also has a high sugar content, for a vegetable, where most calories are from sugars.

It does have a good, broad nutritional content by way of minerals, such as potassium and magnesium, but as Susann has said, it is probably best only as an occasional food, or even just as a treat, not as an every day diet vegetable.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
Toria Dawn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 1:25 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Kohlrabi

Postby Toria Dawn » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Ok thanks guys! We are going to be using the kohlrabi in a salad for a dinner party tonight so maybe I'll just give him a little piece to try as a treat!
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - Royal Hendrix Mudson
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos - Bagel & Donut
0.0.2 Bearded Dragons - Jabba & Han

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 244 guests