Handling a baby bluey
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Dolphyngal
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 7
- Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:44 pm
- Country:
- Location: Napa Valley, California
Handling a baby bluey
I just received our newly adopted baby bluey from James Wilson this morning - "Speed Racer #22" ("Speed" for short). I haven't been able to reach James, unfortunately, so thought I'd give the forum a shot. When little Speed arrived I opened the container and I could tell he was a little scared and nervous with little huffs and opening his mouth a bit. For the first 5 minutes I occasionally petted his head and he started to cal,, and then he looked like he wanted out, pressing his nose against the container. He wasn't acting nervous anymore, so I picked him up and put him on my chest and away he went - exploring everywhere, crawling on my arms and around my shoulders and neck, on my desk at work, etc. He would stop every so often to look around, and even tried to bite the "hold" button on my desk phone
. I brought a makeshift temporary terrarium to keep him comfortable for the day while at work, which I put him in after about a half hour, but he explored around it and came back out looking like he wanted back out. So I brought him back out and he continued on with his explorations. For a few minutes here and there he would crawl around my neck and settle down, but then he'd go back to exploring. Before heading to lunch I put him back in his little "portable terrarium", and he crawled in his hide and settled down. I have read quite a few placed to gradually introduce blueys and handle minimally at first to gain trust and not stress them, so now I'm worried I overdid the first introduction. Am I fooling myself into thinking he was exploring and wasn't actually trying to run away? He had what looked like to me a constant look of curiosity, flicking his cute little blue tongue as blueys do when they are excited or content. He didn't appear nervous, he wasn't huffing or acting defensively, and my instinct did not pick up on him feeling uncomfortable in any way. I know James handles his babies regularly so maybe Spped is just used to the handling, but I didn't expect such a positive first experience right out of the box. In fact, I was downright nervous opening the box. Any input would be appreciated ... thank you!! (And, as a sidebar, my only prior bluey experience was an adult female. When we got her she was about 4 or 5, and we had her for a year-and-a-half after that. Her first several years were sketchy - all we know is that she was rescued from a hoarding/neglectful situation prior to the owner we got her from. I took her to the vet last week as she wasn't eating and was lethargic. The vet loosely diagnosed her with a possible respiratory infection, prescribed medicine, and said they thought shew as going to be okay. She died that night. I think the stress of the two hour stay at the vet's office, x-rays, a very cold vet room, and forcing medicine on her was too much. We are heartbroken over her loss).
Proud mama to:
~ Northern Bluey "Speed Racer" (a.k.a. "Speed")
~ Leopard Gecko "Athena"
~ Leopard Gecko "Maya"
~ Northern Bluey "Speed Racer" (a.k.a. "Speed")
~ Leopard Gecko "Athena"
~ Leopard Gecko "Maya"
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Handling a baby bluey
I think your best course of action is to leave the skink alone for a week or two. I know it's hard not to play with your tiny new baby, but making them feel comfortable at first is the best way to gain their trust.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Handling a baby bluey
X2
best bet is to leave it be to get used to new home,a week or 2 so it gets familiar with its surounds and settles in,in the mean time time u can try hand feeding ect but by seeing if it comes to you,that helps with trust issues if u let them decide rather than chasing them around cage so to speak,northerns usually settle quite well
best bet is to leave it be to get used to new home,a week or 2 so it gets familiar with its surounds and settles in,in the mean time time u can try hand feeding ect but by seeing if it comes to you,that helps with trust issues if u let them decide rather than chasing them around cage so to speak,northerns usually settle quite well
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Handling a baby bluey
I don't believe you have overly stressed him out. If he seemed to enjoy being out, then I'm sure he enjoyed being out.
Yes, it's always best to let a new BTS, of any age, settle in a bit before starting handling sessions; but I for one believe that, since you already have experience with a BTS, you would have noticed if Speed was getting stressed out.
I agree with Richard; if you have to chase him around his tank to pick him up then it's a definite NO for handling.
I have experience with two groups of babies, and for the first group I would've said "Let them settle for a minimum of a week before picking them up." The second group had a completely different "personality", and I had no doubt that they were going to do just fine with handling straight out of the box.
I think with Speed coming from a great breeder that he may very well have a more mellow personality. It still, in my opinion, does not hurt at all to let a new skink have time to get used to, and feel safe, in their brand new home, with brand new smells and sounds.
I think you'll be able to discern when he's ready for handling. Whether that's tomorrow or a month from now.
Doesn't hurt to check with James still to see what he says; I know I wouldn't have felt bothered at all if a new owner of one of my skinks got in touch about handling a new baby.
Yes, it's always best to let a new BTS, of any age, settle in a bit before starting handling sessions; but I for one believe that, since you already have experience with a BTS, you would have noticed if Speed was getting stressed out.
I agree with Richard; if you have to chase him around his tank to pick him up then it's a definite NO for handling.
I have experience with two groups of babies, and for the first group I would've said "Let them settle for a minimum of a week before picking them up." The second group had a completely different "personality", and I had no doubt that they were going to do just fine with handling straight out of the box.
I think with Speed coming from a great breeder that he may very well have a more mellow personality. It still, in my opinion, does not hurt at all to let a new skink have time to get used to, and feel safe, in their brand new home, with brand new smells and sounds.
I think you'll be able to discern when he's ready for handling. Whether that's tomorrow or a month from now.
Doesn't hurt to check with James still to see what he says; I know I wouldn't have felt bothered at all if a new owner of one of my skinks got in touch about handling a new baby.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Handling a baby bluey
litters can vary like that,some are very mellow from the start,others are nutjobs in comparison, then theres mixes of mellows and biters,all individuals
i dont overly handle mine,though probably still pick them up as much as anyone else,i just dont kick back watchin tv with them,more just check them out then return them to cage
i dont overly handle mine,though probably still pick them up as much as anyone else,i just dont kick back watchin tv with them,more just check them out then return them to cage
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Handling a baby bluey
IMO, you seem to have a good handle on watching the skink's reactions. If you think the skink is curious and comfortable and explorative, it probably is. If it seems scared, shy, or upset, I think you'd be able to tell and respond accordingly. Do what feels right for the baby and you'll be fine 
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Dolphyngal
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 7
- Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:44 pm
- Country:
- Location: Napa Valley, California
Re: Handling a baby bluey
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and comments. I brought little Speed home to my son, Logan, last night (his true owner, although I'm having a really hard time sharing him he's so darned adorable!) and he was the same - curious and flicking that adorable blue tongue. And, he ate very well with no hesitation. I think he actually tired himself out last night as he finally settled down and snuggled against my son's neck for a bit. There has been no hiding, hissing or running away, even when we pick him up. And, I make sure Logan (he's almost 12) scoops him up gently from the side, and that he makes sure Speed sees him and doesn't get startled. Speed just seems like a little busy body, anxious to get out and explore. Same thing this morning, Logan took him out for about 20 mins, and he didn't want to go back in, tried to crawl back up his arm. For the most part, when he is out he spends more time exploring than actually being handled - when he is handled, though, he seems very comfortable and trusting (he even tried to climb up Logan's head for a better view). And, he was also happy to "christen" my couch, so he's officially made himself at home. The activity of Speed is a lot more than what we are used to - our adult female was not very active, and when she was out she mostly burrowed under a pillow or blanket or snuggled under an arm or my hair (in fact when I walked around with her on my shoulder, she would get annoyed if my hair was pulled up). Anyway ... I think little Speed is going to be just fine. We work and go to school during the day so Speed has a good 10 hours to himself during the day and 9+ during the night. And, a little sidebar funny for all of you Speed Racer fans (mostly the guys I assume), when I referred to him as "Speed Racer #22" (the # James assigned to him in the litter) I was looked at by my husband and boys like I had lost my mind - "#22??? Speed Racer is #5!!!" I explained why I said #22, they were still offended. Well, excuse the heck out of me, I thought I was being cute, but apparently not.
(P.S. Attached are a couple of pics from yesterday at work - I actually caught one of his tongue!!).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud mama to:
~ Northern Bluey "Speed Racer" (a.k.a. "Speed")
~ Leopard Gecko "Athena"
~ Leopard Gecko "Maya"
~ Northern Bluey "Speed Racer" (a.k.a. "Speed")
~ Leopard Gecko "Athena"
~ Leopard Gecko "Maya"
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Handling a baby bluey
Congrats! He is a cutie!
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Handling a baby bluey
Eeeeeeee! What a little darlin'!! I thought Speed Racer #22 was funny
, but maybe you have to be a girl to find it amusing...?
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Dolphyngal
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 7
- Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:44 pm
- Country:
- Location: Napa Valley, California
Re: Handling a baby bluey
Yes, I will admit, I am totally head-over-heels smitten with this little guy.
I thought I was "being cool" by adding his #22 to the end of "Speed Racer". That was without knowing what Speed Racer's actual number in the cartoon/movie is and that I'd get so much flack from it. My husband and sons were offended!!
Proud mama to:
~ Northern Bluey "Speed Racer" (a.k.a. "Speed")
~ Leopard Gecko "Athena"
~ Leopard Gecko "Maya"
~ Northern Bluey "Speed Racer" (a.k.a. "Speed")
~ Leopard Gecko "Athena"
~ Leopard Gecko "Maya"
-
bluetonguerocks
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 263
- Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:50 pm
- Country:
- Location: Vancouver, BC
Re: Handling a baby bluey
he's a cute baby 

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 191 guests
