Page 1 of 1
Wild Shingles (Jurien Bay)
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:46 pm
by acanthurus
Went for a drive up to Jurien Bay on Monday. Weather was perfect for shingle spotting - saw about 20 in 2 hours. Only saw one western bluetongue crossing the road whilst I was driving. It wasnt safe to stop though and it was already across the road to safety so didn't get any pictures unfortunately.
The shingles from Jurien are a lot smaller than mine - I'm guessing around 500g on average. Some have a beautiful green colour though.
Adult female

Juvenile ?male

Adult female on the beach

Juvenile ?male eating wild flowers


Juvenile ?female eating snail

Adult male

Juvenile female

Re: Wild Shingles (Jurien Bay)
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:11 pm
by Ophidiophile
20?! in TWO hours?! Truly cool. Great photos too!
Re: Wild Shingles (Jurien Bay)
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:13 pm
by donkeybuff
Beautiful animals!
Re: Wild Shingles (Jurien Bay)
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:24 pm
by Richard.C
beautiful,love seeing pics of wild ones,2nd pic is that yellowy tinge a true representation,looks cool,and those white snails,we get them along the coastline in vic as well,especially the coastal fringe
a couple of those look similar to my male rugosa,though hes still drabber,but hes pretty small like u describe those ones ,nice pics,weather must have been spot on to see that many,thanks for sharing
Re: Wild Shingles (Jurien Bay)
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:49 pm
by Richard.C
what are the legalities with rugosa pallara over there,are they able to be collected like the rugosa rugosas
Re: Wild Shingles (Jurien Bay)
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:36 pm
by acanthurus
Only allowed to keep rugosa rugosa over here unfortunately. These are still rugosa though. Palarra's range isn't for a few hundred km's north of here once the wheat belt ends north of Kalbarri.
There does seem to be a lot of confusion overseas with animals such as in these pics labeled as palarra. I've only seen a couple of wild palarra, but they are obviously different when you see them. Very dark patterns and black eyes. Scales seem small and dense, stocky bodies, and heads pointed and large for their body size. If you google pictures of palarra taken in the wild you will see what I mean (I don't have any digital pics of them sorry).
It's a shame they aren't available here as they quite beautiful in the flesh.
Re: Wild Shingles (Jurien Bay)
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:02 am
by Lea
These are great photos, I love seeing the differences between the locales and I haven't been to Jurien Bay.
Are those ticks in the ear of this one, did you notic? I just wondered if there was a tick problem, being close to gazing land. Seeing so many different locales, I've noticed some are crawling with ticks, while others seem completely empty of them, even over short distances, depending on the population of grazers.
Re: Wild Shingles (Jurien Bay)
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:48 am
by Richard.C
ok thanks,yes knew these were rugosa rugosa,over here shinglebacks are labled as shinglebacks on our licence system what ever the sub species,i love the look of palarras,bummer,was hoping they were somehow obtainable,hmm,wonder if any wildlife parks keep them, probably only way to get any legitamatly,i saw they have added more species to the licencing system over there,im still gobsmacked northerns wernt one,especially since roughscaled pythons were added
Re: Wild Shingles (Jurien Bay)
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:28 am
by Nae
WHY DIDNT YOU SAY YOU WERE GOING TO JURIEN
Its where I live!! Well kinda....BUT STILL
I could have come with

Re: Wild Shingles (Jurien Bay)
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:29 am
by Nae
Lea wrote:These are great photos, I love seeing the differences between the locales and I haven't been to Jurien Bay.
Are those ticks in the ear of this one, did you notic? I just wondered if there was a tick problem, being close to gazing land. Seeing so many different locales, I've noticed some are crawling with ticks, while others seem completely empty of them, even over short distances, depending on the population of grazers.
Yeah, we have a massive problem with ticks here - Kangaroos carry most of them right into town. There is work being done on the cemetery atm as you cant even sit on the benches without seeing them literally crawling along the ground towards you.
Richard.C wrote:ok thanks,yes knew these were rugosa rugosa,over here shinglebacks are labled as shinglebacks on our licence system what ever the sub species,i love the look of palarras,bummer,was hoping they were somehow obtainable,hmm,wonder if any wildlife parks keep them, probably only way to get any legitamatly,i saw they have added more species to the licencing system over there,im still gobsmacked northerns wernt one,especially since roughscaled pythons were added
Just wondering where you found this info Richard? I practically ran (Metaphorically of cause) to the dpaw site to check their licensing info after reading that - and there doesnt appear to be any changes to their (rather old looking) list?
Re: Wild Shingles (Jurien Bay)
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:43 am
by Richard.C
saw a few folk talking about it on the aussie pythons forum
Re: Wild Shingles (Jurien Bay)
Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:31 am
by Nae
Ah, found it! All snakes....But rough scaled and pygmy pythons are such cuties I will forgive them slightly~ Shame about the depressas, omigosh I love them so much, hopefully they pass
Thanks Richard!
Re: Wild Shingles (Jurien Bay)
Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:22 am
by Richard.C
the rough scales have to be wild caughts as wa doesnt allow pythons to be imported in from out of wa
considering there small range and not overly common status, thats odd,yet they havnt added northerns and they backed away from depressa because they recently got cut up into 4 subspecies,not sure why they dont just add all subspecies,maybe next time hopefully,the snakes are a start
Re: Wild Shingles (Jurien Bay)
Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:43 pm
by Jessica
That green coloring is gorgeous! I'd love to see Shingles in the wild.