I am in no way educated on this topic; I'm just using what I've read and heard, and then using my own (...sometimes flawed) logic for the rest. If I've got something wrong, I hope y'all will let me know.
I know the UVB in many of the compact bulbs for desert-dwelling reptiles (10.0) have been known to cause problems in the past. I personally believe that the safety of the use of these bulbs is the same as with everything else: you have to follow the recommendations and guidelines.
The tube, by its nature, emits a broader "beam", which can diffuse the strength of the rays. A compact bulb that emits the same strength rays will concentrate them in a tighter beam, or smaller spot, which, if used in an incorrect way, can be harmful.
For example: every UVB tube, globe, or bulb comes with a range within which it is to be used. If there is no screen between the bulb and the animal, you had better make sure the bulb is not any closer than the stated distance. (I am just going to be using the word "bulb", but I believe it is the same whether you are using a compact or a tube, or a mercury vapor.)
If there is a screen, the rays will be greatly diminished depending on how "tight" the screen is --or how large the "holes" are in it.
Every UVB bulb, especially if it's one of the stronger one, should ALWAYS be positioned so it shines STRAIGHT down (at the right distance), like the sun at noon, not angled. I personally believe that this has been part of why animals have gotten eye-injuries, because if the rays shine down at an angle, then the lizard's natural eye-protection, eyelids and "brow-ridges" are rendered ineffective to protect them.
Along the same lines, you have to supply LOTS of shady options for your diurnal lizards, in every temperature-range, so they can be out and about without constantly being in the rays. There needs to be hides --or places where the lizard can be completely out of the rays, there needs to be plants, or branches, or some such --places where the lizard can be out of hiding but still somewhat shaded, and a basking spot --place where the lizard can warm up to digest and get, preferably unobstructed (but at the right distance), UVB rays.
Can the compact fluorescents be more harmful? I believe they have a greater likelihood of being harmful than the fluorescents if not used correctly, but I also personally believe that they have a greater likelihood of being more effective --but that is just pure use of personal logic on my part.
Because no UVB bulb will be as "effective" as the sun. And if we position the bulbs correctly, and supply enough safe places as options for our lizards, then they will know where to place themselves to get the right amount of rays.
I hope when more people come on, they will enlighten us better than just my logic....
