Page 1 of 1

Introducing my new BTS

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:48 am
by tignish99
Hello:

This is Blue (children like and choose names that are logical). Since we will probably never find out the sex, as a family, we decided it is a he for simplicity. He is about 6 months old. We brought him home yesterday evening. He seems fine with being handled and at one point fell asleep in the crook of my arm while I watched tv. He even ate a piece of fruit from us and a superworm. Although I have extensive reptile knowledge I am sure there will be plenty of panic-stricken posts from me about something I do not know. I think he is the Merauke species, but I am not certain and I forgot to ask. Does he look like it?

We did get him from a reptile store. I know some people frown upon stores, but he is the only one I have ever seen in our area. Also, this is a small, family owned reptile store, and not a big box store, that we have developed a close relationship over a long period of time. They know our names, the names of our reptiles, and are always happy to give advice in person and over the phone, even if there is no selling involved. They never push any animals and are patient. Even though I knew I wanted a BTS, I spent over an hour in the store yesterday looking at him, holding him, talking to him (I am not the only one who talks to my reptiles, right?), making sure he looked healthy, and his enclosure was clean. They were patient and happy to answer all my questions. They only deal with reputable breeders or breed their own. Never wild-caught.

Anyways, here he is. We are thrilled to have him, and look forward to watching him grow and show us his own personality. He has already shown us that he is incredibly nosy and must (literally) stick his nose into everything. Last night, every shirt sleeve, throw-pillow pile, and pant leg had to be through sniffed at and explored.

Cheers

Re: Introducing my new BTS

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:37 am
by Richard.C
welcome to bts.net

yes thats a merauke,nice looking example to

Re: Introducing my new BTS

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:10 am
by Merriann
Congrats on your new addition! He is nice looking! It is so cute that he fell asleep on your arm-- mine only uses me as a means to get down to the floor and then wants nothing to do with me! Yours sounds very personable. Enjoy!

Re: Introducing my new BTS

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:13 am
by Seadation
Congrats! That is a beautiful merauke!

Re: Introducing my new BTS

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:21 am
by tignish99
Thank you everyone. Let the new adventure begin! :ohyes:

Re: Introducing my new BTS

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:25 am
by Susann
You do indeed have a Merauke (and not that it matters much, I'm sure, if he's "just" going to be a pet, but he looks a little more like a "she" to me --but take that for what it's worth, which is just a guess at best from looking at 2 pictures. :) Blue should fit both a boy or a girl, so you're good there too. :) )

Welcome to the forum! We hope you'll feel at home here, and please never hesitate to ask any questions, whether they are panic-stricken or not. :wink:
Since you have reptile knowledge and knew you wanted a BTS, I'm sure you've done some research. It never hurts to look things over again after you've gotten the animal to make sure you have things set up right. I would also point you to the "Search" function of the forum to do some reading on the subjects you'd like more input on, as there can be some differing opinions on many aspects of BTS care and keeping.

No worries on getting him from a pet store. :) It sounds like a very nice place, and we are happy you have a wonderful relationship with them.
As there are no known breeders of Merauke in Canada, it is almost certain your little guy was born to a wild caught mother who came over gravid. As you've already learned with Blue, captive-born to wild caught mothers make wonderful pets too; I should know, I have 3 wild caught adults who are wonderful animals. :) But it never hurts to get a fecal test done by your vet, just to be on the sure side. It is normal for them to carry some parasites, but in case he has a high load he may have trouble putting some weight on.
And not to worry you in any way, Blue does look a little slim, which is very common in juveniles, but I would maybe offer him a healthy meal every other day to begin with, to make sure he has a healthy appetite. (I tend to prefer my skinks a bit pudgier, but I have a 1 year old who's even slimmer than yours; just like people, some skinks burn off more fat than others :roll: ) There are lots of good suggestions in the FAQ section, and more info and opinions than you can probably stand if you search posts on food and feeding. :wink:

We love pictures, so feel free to keep them coming. And if you have other pets/reptiles (and it sounds like you do) we love to see pictures of them too in the Off Topic forum. :thumbs:

We have no doubt you'll love little Blue and be happy with him. Especially since he's Merauke, but I'm a little partial to them myself... :D

Re: Introducing my new BTS

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:20 am
by Ophidiophile
Very nice looking juvie Merauke! Congrats!

Re: Introducing my new BTS

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:28 pm
by Toria Dawn
Beauty Merauke!! I also got mine from a store, and since I'd done so much research beforehand I feel like I could have even rescued him from falling into potentially bad, neglectful hands. Plus his tank now is so much bigger and better for him than at the store - even though its one of the top-rated stores in my city. Blue is a cutie, congrats on your new pet!

Re: Introducing my new BTS

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:55 am
by bluetonguerocks
she looks amazing!