Mouth rot?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
The Bearded Derek
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Hialeah, Florida

Mouth rot?

Postby The Bearded Derek » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:37 am

I can't tell if his mouth is dirty or has mouth rot
Image
In this picture you might not see it much but its a little brown line, I doubt it's just pigment since both sides are slightly different color tones, I tried wiping it off, so it isn't dirt, he has it on both sides,(Compared to this pic, the lines are like 1.3x that in size on both sides but not on his nose) yet inside his mouth is completely clean. Is it mouth rot?

He once bit his finger and his nail went on his lip but I don't think it's due to this since he has it on both sides. I'll try getting a picture later when he's outside.
I checked on him and it kinda looks like little dirt specs but it won't come off. Should I use water and check?
Beards everywhere for everyone! lol
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Mouth rot?

Postby donkeybuff » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:21 am

I can't really tell from the picture. If you think it's dirt, try using a wet cotton swab to remove it.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Mouth rot?

Postby Kurt » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:41 am

I can't see anything in that pic that looks like mouth rot... Maybe try posting a few pics so we can see those lines you're talking about.
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
User avatar
The Bearded Derek
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Hialeah, Florida

Re: Mouth rot?

Postby The Bearded Derek » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Here, I managed to get a pic
I've seen a couple mouth rot pics, but he's had these marks since 3 months ago and they look nothing like normal Halmahera pigment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beards everywhere for everyone! lol
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Mouth rot?

Postby Susann » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:29 pm

When you rub it with a wet Q-tip, does the Q-tip come away clean?
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
The Bearded Derek
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Hialeah, Florida

Re: Mouth rot?

Postby The Bearded Derek » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:52 am

Seems to have been a false alarm, it was dirt on his mouth. It's been sitting there for so long it was dried and you can actually feel the dust. :) good to know it was just dirt.
Beards everywhere for everyone! lol
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Mouth rot?

Postby donkeybuff » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Always better safe than sorry :)
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Mouth rot?

Postby Lea » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Jade always gets the dirty mouth bottom lip moustache look leading up to a shed. It looks a but cruddy and foul for a day or two and can be a bit stubborn to wash off, too, especially since she's a wriggler.

Better to ask, just in case, but I'm pleased it's just dirt.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 173 guests