Introducing myself, but more importantly - Franklin!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
misslaceyjane
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:59 pm
Country:
Location: California, United States

Introducing myself, but more importantly - Franklin!

Postby misslaceyjane » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi all! My name's Lacey, I'm a brand new owner of a baby Northern Blue Tongue and couldn't be more excited! My bluey's name is Franklin, a la Benjamin Franklin/Franklin Roosevelt - he (assuming he is a he, haha) was born on the 4th of July so he needed something a bit patriotic. He's already growing like a weed!! :)

We've had him now for almost 3 weeks and it's still a learning process, but we're really enjoying getting to know the little guy. We thought we'd give him some banana to get him to warm up to us a bit, but I think this has just made him really grabby as he gets a bit nippy now when we are putting his food in for the morning. Any tips on how to get him past that stage and used to handling would be helpful - I have read the post about taming blue tongues and my boyfriend and I are taking the time every day to sit by his tank and talk to him. He does seem to be responding well to this but he gets a little anxious and hissy when we reach in to pet him, so we're letting him have his space when he needs it. After all, it must be scary for a little baby to be packed up and shipped to a new home with new people. He's definitely not hiding so often, so we're taking that as a good sign!

As for my background, I'm not an expert by any means but also no stranger to the reptile world! My dad is a breeder - he specializes in Bearded Dragons so I have a BIG soft spot in my heart for them, but growing up we had everything in our house from Uromastyx to Leaf-tailed Geckos to Monitors. Now that I've been out of the parents' house for a few years, it felt a little empty not having a lizard around. I heard about blue tongues and was hooked - I really hear nothing but good about them! He's already brought us a lot of joy with his adorable personality. :) I'll attach a couple of pictures of the lil guy and hopefully I attach them correctly, I'm a forum newbie haha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: Introducing myself, but more importantly - Franklin!

Postby Scincoides » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Welcome to the forums! That is a beautiful northern. As for taming, just be patient. Let him get used to seeing you everyday, and try gently stroking him a few times a day instead of actually picking him up. Baby blues can get a little jumpy when they see things coming down at them from above.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Introducing myself, but more importantly - Franklin!

Postby donkeybuff » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Since he's a baby, let him bite you when he tries. Don't flinch or pull away, and let him bite you until he has no more interest. If he finds out that biting your finger will not get him food or a reaction from you, he will stop.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Introducing myself, but more importantly - Franklin!

Postby Richard.C » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:08 pm

welcome to bts.net

congrats on your northern,they usually settle down pretty fast and learn to trust you all by them selves though the odd one doesnt mind keeping its tude,lol
User avatar
Mimo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:58 am
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Introducing myself, but more importantly - Franklin!

Postby Mimo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:15 pm

Welcome and gratz on getting a bluey.
He looks beautifull, i hope he will get used to you soon.
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Introducing myself, but more importantly - Franklin!

Postby Lea » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:38 am

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your new baby! He's delightful! Is he one of James Wilson's, if you don't mind me asking?
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
misslaceyjane
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:59 pm
Country:
Location: California, United States

Re: Introducing myself, but more importantly - Franklin!

Postby misslaceyjane » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:12 am

Lea wrote:Welcome to the site and congratulations on your new baby! He's delightful! Is he one of James Wilson's, if you don't mind me asking?


No I actually got him from Donna Fitzgerald at Captive Bred Excellence. Great experience buying through them, she was very helpful! They have some gorgeous pythons, too. :)
bluetonguerocks
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:50 pm
Country:
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Introducing myself, but more importantly - Franklin!

Postby bluetonguerocks » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi Lacey, welcome to the forum!
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Introducing myself, but more importantly - Franklin!

Postby Kurt » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Welcome to the forum! I bought a northern from Donna last year, she produces awesome blueys. Keep us updated on Franklin with lots of pics!
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
Merriann
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:29 am
Country:
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Introducing myself, but more importantly - Franklin!

Postby Merriann » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:22 am

Welcome! I'm a pretty new owner also and I have found that Twinkie, my northern, doesn't appreciate any fast movements-- even what I would consider normal walking speed. When I enter his room I try to do everything in slow motion and I have found that really helps not to startle him. I also think he seems to appreciate if I get down to his level and don't stare directly at him too much but I may be imagining that. Anyway, I'm sure with time you will find out what works for your skink: just keep experimenting and enjoying the getting-to-know-you process!
Eudora
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:26 pm
Country:
Location: NY/us

Re: Introducing myself, but more importantly - Franklin!

Postby Eudora » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:30 pm

0.0 :o welcome~~~

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 216 guests