Page 1 of 1

I'm building a custom tank for my TeaCup...

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:29 pm
by WanderingChai
Hey all! Long time.

I have some questions about renovating my childhood bookshelf into a custom tank for Tea Cup. I have a question about how to seal the inside. It has a white plastic-like covering on the outside of thw wood(not sure what it's called, but it peels right off and it bubbles up when wet). I was going to peel it off, but I'm not sure what to put in it's place. What can i put in that will be safe for TeaCup, inexpensive, and I can get at a Home Depot or Lowes?

I'm worried about it getting too humid, so I think what I'll do is have the top few inches be screen. Would that work?

Can't wait to show you guys the finished project!

Much love~ Tia

Re: I'm building a custom tank for my TeaCup...

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:11 pm
by donkeybuff
Drylok is sold at home depot and is used as a masonry sealer, but countless people who make custom cages use it to seal wood/mdf board. It is latex-based, so it is completely harmless when dry. I used it on my converted cabinet, and it didn't cost much. The screen would probably work well, but a simpler way to get ventilation would be to drill a series of holes in the side of the cage that are too small for the skink to fit through, but still big enough for ventilation. Maybe somewhere around 1/2 inch?
Good luck! It's hard work but it's worth it in the end!

Re: I'm building a custom tank for my TeaCup...

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:00 pm
by WanderingChai
Thank you!!