I'm building a custom tank for my TeaCup...

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

I'm building a custom tank for my TeaCup...

Postby WanderingChai » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Hey all! Long time.

I have some questions about renovating my childhood bookshelf into a custom tank for Tea Cup. I have a question about how to seal the inside. It has a white plastic-like covering on the outside of thw wood(not sure what it's called, but it peels right off and it bubbles up when wet). I was going to peel it off, but I'm not sure what to put in it's place. What can i put in that will be safe for TeaCup, inexpensive, and I can get at a Home Depot or Lowes?

I'm worried about it getting too humid, so I think what I'll do is have the top few inches be screen. Would that work?

Can't wait to show you guys the finished project!

Much love~ Tia
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: I'm building a custom tank for my TeaCup...

Postby donkeybuff » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:11 pm

Drylok is sold at home depot and is used as a masonry sealer, but countless people who make custom cages use it to seal wood/mdf board. It is latex-based, so it is completely harmless when dry. I used it on my converted cabinet, and it didn't cost much. The screen would probably work well, but a simpler way to get ventilation would be to drill a series of holes in the side of the cage that are too small for the skink to fit through, but still big enough for ventilation. Maybe somewhere around 1/2 inch?
Good luck! It's hard work but it's worth it in the end!
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Re: I'm building a custom tank for my TeaCup...

Postby WanderingChai » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Thank you!!
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 174 guests