Page 1 of 1

oh poo, I have a poo question

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:57 pm
by chiv
I feed my skink every other day, and though I am rarely home to physically see him eat (he generally spends 100% of his time burrowed), it would appear he eats every other time I offer him food, on average. I have been feeding him crested gecko meal replacement powder mixed with those baby bearded dragon pellets. His poop has consistently been green and liquidy. Is that ok?

Unrelated to his waste, he is very shy and defensive. I would like to socialize him but he is never at "surface level" and is nearly always burrowed under his hot side hide. Obviously I don't want to do any harm, but I would really like to get him tame. Would it be detrimental somehow to just reach in there every so often and get him out, regardless of his aggression? Thanks for the help =)

Re: oh poo, I have a poo question

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:06 pm
by donkeybuff
You should definitely switch to wet dog or cat food. Crested gecko diet and bearded dragon pellets are not a good diet for a blue tongue. Can we see pictures of the skink? Depending on his age, you need to add the right amount of vegetables to his diet. Once you have his diet ready, hand feeding is a good way to gain his trust.

Re: oh poo, I have a poo question

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:12 pm
by chiv
Thanks for the speedy response I'm on my way to the store now to get some dog food! That was what the reptile house guy was feeding him (as in the gecko/dragon mix). I will post pictures as soon as possible, probably by Thursday.

Re: oh poo, I have a poo question

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:28 pm
by donkeybuff
Care Sheet: http://bluetongueskinks.net/care.htm
Food Chart: http://bluetongueskinks.net/foodchart.html
FAQ Section of the Forum: viewforum.php?f=24

Those links should help you with getting the diet right, and with any other questions you may have. :btsnet:

Re: oh poo, I have a poo question

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:03 pm
by Richard.C
yeah that pellet stuff,the dye makes them poop green,my beardies used to do the same if i used it alot,soft green poop,i found plant roughage and insects brought poops back to normal if u use pellets as a smaller percentage of there diest,theres other pellets minus the dye as well that seem to let them poop there usual poop consistancy so perhaps experiment with some others to

Re: oh poo, I have a poo question

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:47 am
by gust0640
Feeding him every day is to much i think. Of course it depents on how much you give him, but if you feed him every other day, i think he would be more active. And please, dont give him crested gecko diet. The name already says everything. It is for crested gecko, and definitely not for a bluey. Give him some veggies, and im sure you will see him more active and healthier :)

Re: oh poo, I have a poo question

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:29 pm
by donkeybuff
Well dog food says dog, but we still give it to blueys :P

Re: oh poo, I have a poo question

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:14 pm
by El Lobo
donkeybuff wrote:Well dog food says dog, but we still give it to blueys :P


Dogs and blueys are both omnivores.

Re: oh poo, I have a poo question

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:57 am
by chiv
I feed every other day. I switched to cat food and kale and he seemed to really like that. also noticed he's shedding.