Page 1 of 1

has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:17 pm
by spencerb
I will hopefully get a skink really soon. And I am wondering how people of they have potty trained there skinks.

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:41 pm
by Richard.C
personally i doubt they can be potty trained as such,if they need to go they go,wether its on you,on there basking rock,in there food bowl or what ever,when they feel the need they do the deed

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:12 pm
by bluetonguerocks
I'm not too sure about pottytraining them, but I guess a lot of experienced keepers in this forum will voice their words of wisdom on the matter anytime soon :)

Nonetheless, I've read it somewhere in this forum (must be the detailed caresheet if I'm not wrong :wink: ) that skinks tend to do their business once they become active. Therefore, you can PREDICT and AVOID getting peed on if this is what concerns you

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:25 pm
by critterguy
Rich: Was it you who mentioned somewhere your Northerns tended to be neater and not defecate in their hides compared to other skinks you work with?

You can't potty train them-but if you have them on a set feeding schedule you can tell when they might go. They generally only poo once a day-week depending on schedule so if you find a fresh poo in the cage you can be fairly certain the animal will not poo when taken out.

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:54 pm
by Richard.C
naah not me,mine poop anywhere and everywhere

only time im confident in them pooping is straight after cage cleaning,the love christening a freshly cleaned enclosure,lol

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:00 pm
by Scotts1au
Putting them in a tub of warm water for a wash = aquaturds

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:19 pm
by Richard.C
scott thats also known as releasing brown trout

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:41 am
by Lea
Some do have favourite spots to poop. For me, the Shinglebacks seem to have cleaner toilet habits and whenever I've kept them indoors, they've pooped at the opposite end to the food dish and away from sleeping quarters. They also seem to have their own spot outside, too. My Easterns, however, don't seem to share that idea though, pooping wherever they please, yes, and lying in it, too. They are really good at lifting their tails up and keeping themselves clean as they do the deed, only to later traipse right through, sliding ceremoniously on their bellies, just to make the most of it.

They don't toilet train, but can be habitual, so if you are lucky, you'll get one that poops right after dinner, nice and tidy in the corner for easy cleanup- but it's more likely you'll have skinks like the rest of us, so carrying a paper towel under their botties when handling over your fancy furniture, will always prove a good idea.

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:00 am
by Coomassie
If you put them on a schedule (ie feed around the same time), they will often poo around the same time. There are foods that can speed that up and as Scott mentioned, warmish water will cause them to defecate. I've yet to hear of a potty-trained skink but you can usually tell (if you are paying attention) when they are about to poo.

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:11 pm
by spencerb
Thanks everyone fr the responses. !!!

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:37 pm
by Lauriek
Scotts1au wrote:Putting them in a tub of warm water for a wash = aquaturds

:lol: aquaturds !! :lol: I love it !

I've observed that my blotchies tend to choose one particular location in their enclosure.
Bliss sleeps under a folded teatowel but she had a little wooded hide and she and her bubs tend to pooh in there.

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 pm
by LovesChihuahuas
I agree with Laurie, as Alisabeth also seems to have her own 'spot' away from her food and where she sleeps, usually under cover as well,like leaf debris.

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:18 pm
by donkeybuff
My indo poops everywhere, but my Northern keeps it in one spot.

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:49 pm
by spencerb
haha thats funny that your northern poops in one spot and your indo poops everywhere

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:19 pm
by dsteamn
Mine Always Go About 15 Minutes After They wake Up And Get Active. The Animals Aren't Trained, but if I Put Them Down On Their Stack Of Newspaper After I've Held Them For A Bit And Watch For Their Signs, They Will Usually Go. It Amazes My friends Because They Really Believe I'm Some sort Of Skink Whisperer And Trained Them To Do That. Who Am I To Say Any different? :wink:

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:32 pm
by Ophidiophile
Potty training is the easy part. Getting them to flush and put the seat down is much harder.

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:06 pm
by donkeybuff
Mine never washes his hands afterwards

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:18 pm
by saisaac
I don't have my bluey potty trained. But I had my bearded dragon potty trained for a while. As long as I let her soak in warm water for a little while every few days she would only poo in the water. My sister's beardie to this day always poops in the same corner of her tank and then flees to the opposite end of the tank.

Re: has anybody pottytrained there skink.

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:28 pm
by bluetonguerocks
Ophidiophile wrote:Potty training is the easy part. Getting them to flush and put the seat down is much harder.


:rofl: