Page 1 of 1

Dose not eat?

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:24 pm
by Reptile- mad
Hi everyone!
Wow, I haven't been n here for a while! My blue tongue skink Smudge is an adult now and I have has him for nearly a year but he dosen't eat, well, not in front of anybody anyway, but I regularly take him ti the vet for checkups and found out he is overweight! I thought this was rather strange as a lot of other bluies I have heard about LOVE food. He is also not that active in his enclosure, he is very lazy but tame. He is very active when I take him outside though.

Re: Dose not eat?

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 pm
by Richard.C
if hes lethargic now it could be because its winter here,and its brumating or just not warm enough to want to eat,has it not eaten in a year?

Re: Dose not eat?

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:37 pm
by Reptile- mad
It hasn't really eaten all year and yet he is actually obese, so I am wondering if he is eating when I'm not there?

Re: Dose not eat?

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:40 pm
by Dakota
Some hold it better than others.

..but him eating while you are not in site, could also be an explanation, as well.

Re: Dose not eat?

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:34 pm
by Toria Dawn
Maybe check this thread to see if anything applies: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22406. It's been asked pretty frequently so a mod posted this sticky in this forum for people with similar questions!

Re: Dose not eat?

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:36 pm
by Richard.C
id say eating when u arent about if its weight is still up,can u show a pic of the lizard,from memory it looked to have a good weight way back when

a good way to tell if its eating in your absence is to offer a small amount so u can easily tell if it looks smaller later,this time of year they often slow down even with heat still provided as they pick up outside cues and back ground temps often fall low to

so another suggestion would be grab a thermometer and check cage temps,basking spot,warm end,middle of cage and cool end temps,all at ground level where the bluey uses