Page 1 of 1

Just introducing myself :)

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
by Alicia P
Hello!
I am a stay at home mom of 4. One of my girls got bitten by the herp bug and she begged for a snake. We now have 2 cornsnakes, and a leopard gecko. I think I may have sucker tattooed across my forehead lol. I would love a larger lizard, apparently I have been bit by the same herp bug that got my daughter :wink: Iguanas while awesome creatures just get way to large and their upkeep is very demanding. Same with the different types of monitors. Beardies are soo cute, and a manageable size but they are so prickly to pet and they also demand alot towards their upkeep. I fell in love with blue tongues when I found them though! They get big, are smooth for petting, and while they obviously have care needs they seem much less demanding than other larger lizards I researched. Plus they look like mini dinosaurs, rawr. What's not to love??

My birthday is coming up and I've asked my husband for a lizard tank (48x18x19 w/ front sliding doors and a screen top) he shook his head and laughed at me. I guess he was expecting me to ask for jewelry or something lol. So that's my story, I'm just snooping around here looking at everyone's setups and maybe asking a question or two :cheers:

Re: Just introducing myself :)

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:49 pm
by ssr
Welcome to the forum! Blue tongues are awesome. You will not be disappointed.

Re: Just introducing myself :)

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:56 pm
by Chris.J
:btsnet:

Welcome! =)

Re: Just introducing myself :)

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:01 pm
by marisa
Welcome! I got my skink setup from asking incessantly for one for a Christmas gift. Maybe you will also get lucky!

You'll love your BTS once you get one.

Re: Just introducing myself :)

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:41 pm
by Logancrook
Welcome!! I got bit by the herp bug too and at first wanted anoles. I then found blueys and fell in love!! You will not be dissapointed, they are the best!

Re: Just introducing myself :)

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:42 pm
by Coomassie
Welcome to the addiction.

Re: Just introducing myself :)

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:40 pm
by Jeff
Welcome to the forum! People who keep one bluey, and don't want more are the exception. Very addictive creatures.

Re: Just introducing myself :)

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:55 pm
by Alicia P
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Re: Just introducing myself :)

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:36 am
by Lea
Welcome!

Like Jeff said, one bluey often leads to another and another ... :roll:

They are great animals to keep and you'll love having one. Do lots of research before you get one, even if you do get a tank setup soon. The more prepared you are, the easier it will be to become a first time owner.

There is a care sheet on here, with links to various things to give you tips about setting up, heating and diet. It's worth having a good read, then making one topic here with all your questions, but do lots of reading first. Often a lot of the basic questions can be answered already and then we can help you with the nitty gritty of getting ready for your new lizard.

Re: Just introducing myself :)

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:43 am
by Alicia P
Lol. Well unless we move there is only 1 blue tongue in my future. I only have room for one 48x18 tank :(

I have already read the caresheet and have done some searches to answer some questions I had. I'm active on another reptile forum and know how tedious it is to answer questions that have been answered many times before and can be looked up in a search. I will start another thread once I get my tank setup just to make sure it looks good.

Thank you!!

Re: Just introducing myself :)

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:21 am
by Alicia P
Went out to lunch with my husband yesterday and he took me to buy a tank. I am the proud new owner of a 70 gallon MartyMade :ohyes:

I looked at the slate/rocks while we were there hoping I could find a nice big piece to use as a basking spot. None were big enough and IMO it was expensive $2.69/lb. The kids were with my mom so I wandered through Lowes on my way to pick them up and didn't see anything in the floor tile aisle or the garden center that caught my eye either :(

After I picked up the kiddos I decided to stop at a landscape supply place that was on my way home and I scored, well I feel like I scored lol. There was only one guy there and he was hot and tired and I think amused that I wanted to buy one rock. He didn't bother to weigh my find and told me a dollar. What? :jawdrop: I asked if he was sure, he was. I gave him $1.25 to cover tax and a bit extra because I knew I was getting a deal. I practically skipped out of the building, I think I heard him laugh at me, whatever :peaceout:

I :love: my rock and I hope my future bluie loves it too.
Image

Re: Just introducing myself :)

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:10 pm
by StaceyLeigh
Alicia P wrote:Hello!
I am a stay at home mom of 4. One of my girls got bitten by the herp bug and she begged for a snake. We now have 2 cornsnakes, and a leopard gecko. I think I may have sucker tattooed across my forehead lol. I would love a larger lizard, apparently I have been bit by the same herp bug that got my daughter :wink: Iguanas while awesome creatures just get way to large and their upkeep is very demanding. Same with the different types of monitors. Beardies are soo cute, and a manageable size but they are so prickly to pet and they also demand alot towards their upkeep. I fell in love with blue tongues when I found them though! They get big, are smooth for petting, and while they obviously have care needs they seem much less demanding than other larger lizards I researched. Plus they look like mini dinosaurs, rawr. What's not to love??

My birthday is coming up and I've asked my husband for a lizard tank (48x18x19 w/ front sliding doors and a screen top) he shook his head and laughed at me. I guess he was expecting me to ask for jewelry or something lol. So that's my story, I'm just snooping around here looking at everyone's setups and maybe asking a question or two :cheers:


2 years ago for my birthday I got Ember-female Northern BTS. My family and friends all thought I was nuts!! Since I am in my mid-40's, I think they all thought I was having a mid-life crisis. lol. We are now the happy owners of 4 Northerns and have bred successfully 1 year. I love my skinks!!