Is Eco Earth coco fiber good substrate?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Fortuitous
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:21 am
Country:
Location: Bethesda, Maryland

Is Eco Earth coco fiber good substrate?

Postby Fortuitous » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:23 pm

Hello everyone,
I am just wondering if Eco Earth Coconut fiber is a good substrate. I know there are some concerns about people finding bugs in the coconut fiber but I have not seen any. What I have noticed is that it often "plugs" up my skinks nose causing him to sneeze a lot. Should I be concerned?
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Re: Is Eco Earth coco fiber good substrate?

Postby Coomassie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Eco earth is a fine substrate. I personally do not use it for my BTS but I do for a number of other reptiles. I don't have a good reason for it. BTS "dig" a lot with their faces so they will get stuff up their nose no matter what you do. Larger particle sizes will be less likely to get stuck but he is just sneezing to get rid of the clog. It is totally normal. I know Linnea recently moved both her skinks to cocoa fiber.
Cay T.
User avatar
Logancrook
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:05 pm
Country:
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Is Eco Earth coco fiber good substrate?

Postby Logancrook » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:00 pm

It's a fine substrate but its probably not good that It keeps getting stuck in your skinks nose. What if one get lodged it there that can't get sneezed out? It might be painful getting pulled out.
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Is Eco Earth coco fiber good substrate?

Postby donkeybuff » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:22 pm

I didnt like it; it was too messy and dried up fast. It might be good for other animals, but for BTS I prefer cypress mulch.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Is Eco Earth coco fiber good substrate?

Postby Dakota » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:28 pm

I like Care-fresh better, but it is terrible at absorbing heat. Not very energy efficient, but it sure looks comfy!
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Fortuitous
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:21 am
Country:
Location: Bethesda, Maryland

Re: Is Eco Earth coco fiber good substrate?

Postby Fortuitous » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:49 pm

I was going to try out carefresh because it seems easier to keep clean. By the way a warm, humid bath seems to help skinks clear their nostrills out if you notice any clogging.
User avatar
Toria Dawn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 1:25 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Is Eco Earth coco fiber good substrate?

Postby Toria Dawn » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 am

I use it but mix it with plantation soil. I buy the soil in brick form and soak it in water to expand and loosen. When mixed with the cocoa husks they seem to hold water muh better. I was having problems with humidity before but the wet soil seems to have solved the issue. The only annoying thing is I have to aerate the mix almost every day. Mix it all around to prevent mold issues. But that can be fun too - Royal gets to come out and walk around a bit, and I get to clean off all his plants and hides, and rearrange things a bit to try to perfect his setup. The aerating actually really helps with humidity! It's just a bit more work.
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - Royal Hendrix Mudson
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos - Bagel & Donut
0.0.2 Bearded Dragons - Jabba & Han

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 243 guests